Type 1 Question for the ladies

Nadia19

Hi girls I was wondering does the menstrual cycle effect you in any way. Mine is due to start in the next few days and noticed I’ve been quite high . (In the 11’s) , the insulin is taking slightly longer to work that usual too. Has anyone else experience this. Thanks all x

• Hug
Reactions: Lainie71

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
my periods greatly increased my bg until I drank birth control pills. Hormonal contraception practically negated the effect of menstruation on bg, but I didn't trust a person without an endocrinologist's qualification to select my contraceptives

Nadia19

I use contraception, I don’t know what the cause could be really. I’m hoping it’s just that lol

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
I can't say that I use typical contraceptives :rolleyes:, because in addition to ethyl estradiol, my pills also contain drospirenone and calcium levomefolate, but hormonal contraception is a very individual thing, I was prescribed such contraceptives also because I had such severe pain during my period that I wanted to open my stomach
In general, an increase in bg during menstruation is typical. Progesterone increases insulin resistance even in healthy people

Nadia19

I can't say that I use typical contraceptives :rolleyes:, because in addition to ethyl estradiol, my pills also contain drospirenone and calcium levomefolate, but hormonal contraception is a very individual thing, I was prescribed such contraceptives also because I had such severe pain during my period that I wanted to open my stomach
In general, an increase in bg during menstruation is typical. Progesterone increases insulin resistance even in healthy people

Thanks for your response, I’m quite resistant tonight . Thanks x

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes it is common for the menstrual cycle to affect blood sugars.
This is why Dr B suggests all women with Type 1 should go on the pill - women's hormones are too complex!
I would rather learn the effect my hormones have on my blood sugars and adjust my insulin accordingly. The need for dose change every month means very long acting insulin like Tresiba is not ideal.

Reactions: Outlier and Nadia19

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I’ve recently found this out.
Last month I thought I’d got my sugars under control and then for a few days I couldn’t control them, didn’t know why but then my period started. After a day my sugars went back down to normal levels for me.
I’m waiting to see what will happen this month!

Nadia19

I’m having the same problem it keeps playing in my head, then I wonder if I’m becoming ill. So many reasons, so little things to make it better. X

• Hug
Reactions: Lainie71