Question please

spitfire

Watched a program on tv tonight on the program was a young lad type 1... i think doing abit of rugby training after training he took his blood sugar which was 6.4 then injected insulin why would he inject with such a good blood sugar reading. Thanks

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I saw the programme too. I'm only a Type 2 so may be wrong but they were just about to eat, so needed to inject insulin to cover the food they were eating - both ate large bread roll sandwiches. This is what Type 1's do as they don't produce their own insulin. I'm sure a Type 1 will come along and explain it better than me.

spitfire

Thanks Denise yeah im type 2 aswell just puzzled me abit with such a good reading yeah big white rolls lol i used to love them and warbys bread but its a no no for me now so i will keep browsing this site cant bl**dy sleep again!!!

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A type 1 has to inject insulin to cover the amount of carbohydrate they're eating, and they usually do this before eating. Some Type 1's are on a two injections per day regime which means they may not have to inject before their lunchtime meal but as this tends to give less flexibility most Type 1's use what we call a Basal/Bolus regime where they need to inject before every meal. If he didn't inject for that roll then his lovely reading of 6.4 would not stay like that for very long and his readings would probably be in the 20s within an hour or two.