Question:timeline for improving blood sugar measurements

sterling

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am failing with my Googleing.

Some posters here are reporting measurements similar to non-diabetics.

How long does it take a person who is very very good to achieve such levels?

Does it take weeks, months or years to get there?

For example, with an A1C of 7.4, if I do everything that is required of me (subject to my body responding), how long would it take if I too targeted 4.5?

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Everyone is different and members will all have different stories to tell. I expect some members will come on here to tell you about their personal experiences. In the meantime, don't get discouraged if you don't reach those levels, it is not possible, or even advisable, for everyone. Also it is not advisable to drop your levels too fast.

Grazer

You can get there very quickly with the right determination. I went from 8.2 to 5.9 in a couple of months. My friend was diagnosed at 11.4 and he followed my sort of diet; he got a 5.7 3 months later! Hba1Cs in the 4's might be a tad too difficult, but the high 5's is fine to me. This is the sort of advice I followed, and gave my mate.:-
In general terms you will need to reduce the total number of carbohydrates you eat per day. All carbohydrates turn to sugar when we eat them, and no type 2 diabetic on diet only, or on diet and metformin only, can control their blood sugars (BGs) without controlling their carb intake. Even those on strong medication normally choose to control their carb intake to keep the level of medication they take down. The total number of carbs per day you can eat depends on how advanced your diabetes is. It’s perhaps worth starting at about 50% of normal levels for a non-diabetic then adjusting up or down according to how you get on. That’s 150 grams of carbs per day for a man, 125 for a woman. You can read the total carb content of food under “nutritional info” on the packet or wrapping, or look it up on the internet for loose food. Just google “carb content..”
You also need to stop or reduce the bad carbs; that is the starchy ones that make your BG go up quickly.
So obviously no sugar or glucose! But also no white bread, white rice, pasta, flour products like pastry, cake and batter. You can eat a little basmati rice, wholewheat pasta or the tri-color pasta fusilli ones in small quantities. Boiled new potatos are OK but not old pots mashed, boiled or in their jackets. (Roast is not so bad, the fat slows their absorption and conversion to glucose in the blood) Amongst other veg, parsnips are about the worst for BG, and carrots not great but ok in smaller amounts.
Multi grain bread (not wholemeal) is not SO bad, but lots of us eat Burgen soya and linseed bread from tescos and sainsburys, although all bread should be in limited amounts.
All fruit has carbohydrates, and needs to be included in the amounts of carbs you eat in a day. For most people, bananas are about the worst for pushing our BG up and berries (like strawberries, raspberries etc) are the least bad.
No sweeties!
Exercise is important. I tend to exercise about an hour after eating when I know my BG will be peaking. This helps to bring it down quicker and further. I do ten minutes hard work on an exercise machine, but you could run up and down stairs for ten minutes or go for a brisk walk.
Returning to types of food and quantities of carbs - you can only find out how many you can eat by testing. Most type 2’s are not given access to testing equipment, so you should get your own – although try arguing with your Doc that you want to manage to NICE guideline blood sugar levels, and can’t do that without testing! If you have to buy a meter, they are cheap and most manufacturers will give them away for free. They make their money on the strips you have to use! So go for the meter with the cheapest testing strips. Some people test before and after eating, on waking (fasting test) and before bed. But if you have limited strips because of cost, the key to me is testing 2 hours after eating. If your BG is above, say, 7.8 at that stage, you need to cut down on the carb content the next time you have that meal. Test after various different meals and you soon get to see a pattern of what you can and can’t eat, and in what quantities. You can then reduce your testing. I said “below, say, 7.8” because NICE guidelines are below 8.5 but most of us think that’s a little high. 7.8 is the max. Level at 2 hours after eating that a non-diabetic normally gets to so is perhaps a better target. Some then set progressively lower targets.
Do ask lots of questions; there is normally an answer on here. The more you get to learn about your diabetes, the better it will be.
Good luck!

sterling

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, Grazer. I think that I am well on the way to this regime.

Swimming is also intense burning 700 plus kcals 5 days a week, but timing of my swimming is not idea.

Carbs clock in at about 150 grams a day: breakfast museli with shredded wheat and ss milk (45g), lunch large mixed salads with olive oil (10g), five or six Nairns oatcakes (36g), fruit equivalent to two apples (40g), vegetables with evening meal (20g).

Measuring BG, but finding results difficult to interpret so far. Wake up count is oddly high, typically 7.0 to 7.5. Similarly, prior to meals count is 7.0 to 7.5. But readings can fall or rise two hours after meals. Therefore I am averagely at 7.5 for much of the time.

Grazer

Well done so far, you seem to be on the way. Morning readings are notoriously difficult with Dawn phenomenon. If i take a fasting BG as soon as I wake up, it will be almost a whole point lower than if I take it say 20 mins later after a shave and shower. Body getting us ready for the day. That's why I don't bother too much with morning readings other than as an occasional check for change. Also, for those who are non-insulin and non-sugar lowering (pancrreas stimulating) drugs (Metformin doesn't count for this), our morning readings tend to reflect our before-bed ones. I used to have a small glass of milk before bed, but that was enough to raise my BG and it was still up in the morning. Now I eat nothing within 2-3 hours of bed, and have a glass of unsweetened soya milk (no carbs) before bed. Fasting BG definitely down.
The 40 grams of fruit is quite a big hit - can't you swap some of it for a boiled egg, or cheese, or something else without carbs? I have one apple after lunch, but more sends me too high. 5 or 6 oatcakes sounds a big hit too. Up to you of course, but lots on here couldn't tolerate that. Again, could you swap for a bit of dairy or protein? Some of these little changes have a big hit on allowing our BGs to settle lower quicker.
Anyway, just a few thoughts. Keep it up!

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Sterling it really does come down to a balance of carbohydrates and medication. If you assume everyone has a grams / day level that if they stuck to would keep them in a normal range then they can up that level somewhat by taking more medication. The more powerful the drug you're willing to accept the higher the carbs but I personally think no drug does a tenth as good as a reduction in carbs. Some people who were on meds have found they can completely give them up if they adopt a low enough carb regime. I take Metformin to give me a bit more scope but restrict myself carb wise and really do keep myself in a 4 to 6 range for 98% of the time and have done so for the last 4 weeks or so. I've got to that in 15 weeks from diagnosis with an HbA1c of 11.3% back then so I was running in the high teens and getting the occasional 20 odd reading.

Good luck and ask more questions if you need to.