Question to Techies about two different apps on one phone, both using Bluetooth

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had a cardiac monitor installed this morning under my skin. It sends information about heart health via a Bluetooth app. My technical knowledge is limited. The hospital cardiac 'techie' said I could have the cardiac app on the same mobile with my Dexcom app. But I am posing this question to you because it was obvious that he knew nothing about Dexcom sensors or insulin pumps.

Do you think that both Dexcom (linked to t:slim X2) and a cardiac monitor (Reveal LINQ) could use Bluetooth at the same time, on the same mobile, without corrupting the data?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Yes I have multiple things using Bluetooth at the same time.. Dexcom, watch, speakers/headphones. Bluetooth is designed to communicate with multiple things.. and remember Dexcom only connects for about 2 seconds every 5 minutes

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I have multiple things using Bluetooth at the same time.. Dexcom, watch, speakers/headphones. Bluetooth is designed to communicate with multiple things.. and remember Dexcom only connects for about 2 seconds every 5 minutes
Thank you Searley, now I understand.

TheSecretCarbAddict

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can normally pair and use multiple devices to Bluetooth on your mobile device. There might be some limitations around using multiple devices simultaneously with the same service, e.g., connecting multiple audio devices to listen to the same music, but multiple separate services should work alongside each other without any issues. For example, I listen to my music via Bluetooth hesdphones while my Libre 2 happily keeps sending its readings to my phone at the same time. Theoretically, there will be some limitations around total bandwidth for Bluetooth, but I don't think devices like CGM or heart minitors will reach or exceed these as data volumes transferred are miniscule compared to listening to music.

Reactions: ElenaP

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can definitely have multiple devices connected via Bluetooth to a phone. There will be a limit to how many but I often connect my pump, my CGM, my heart rate monitor and my headset at the same time with no problems. So two will not be an issue.

• Informative

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you TheSecretCarbAddict and InResponse. I now have more confidence. I will need to install the App within the next four/five days, but am hoping that the firm whose sensor I'm using will talk me through it.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
The specs for BT5 state 7 simultaneous connections.. some types will only accept1 connection at a time.. but most devices like cgm and bpm only connect periodically

So I dare say you’ll be fine.. only 1 way to find out

• Informative