Question

Kevrey

Hi,I wonder if anyone can answer a question. I know that in a normal person the body realises that the Blood glucose is going up and releases insulin to bring it down, conversely if the blood glucose is too low it releases glucose to bring it up, and maintain it so you do not become unconscious. My question is if i inject too much insulin and go hypo why doesn’t the body recognise the low blood glucose and release a load of glucose?

Kevrey

So the insulin not only reduces the blood glucose by getting it into the cells it also stops the body releasing more glucose, which sort of makes sense, why get rid of glucose only for body to release more, should have guessed Mother Nature would have it sorted.
Thanks for the answer.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Kevrey, When I was at a diabetic clinic years ago a poor lady was having a hypo and perhaps in keeping with the times and the stupidity of one doctor, the nursing staff were trying to obtain a blood sample from this poor suffering soul before giving her some sugar. Being a medical student at the time the nursing staff asked me to take the blood sample. This lady was shaking, pale, rambling, confused.
Once done she was given a sweet cup of tea and some biscuits. It took about another 15 minutes for her symptoms to abate.
I happened to hear the result of the Blood test - 13 mmol/l - hardly a hypo level !!
So I assume that even in an elderly, thin lady on insulin, that adrenaline and maybe glucagon were still able to mobilise enough from liver stores to defend her against the presumed low blood sugar and indeed cause it to rise well above normal levels.
If one did not have the blood test result it could be assumed that her symptoms were reflecting a persisting low BSL.
So I am not saying that each person with hypo symptoms for some minutes will have a high BSL reading but it does show that our bodies can respond to excessive insulin effect.
How well and how quickly depends on many variables.

Simha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sometimes the symptoms of a hypo and a hyper can be pretty much the same. Especially if the drop or the rise is steep. The only way to know for sure is to check your bloods. So although I feel for the lady in your post, I think it was the right course of action.

On the other hand...a sweet (very hot) cup of tea and some biscuits doesn't do the trick if she was having a hypo. That would still take too long to raise her blood sugar levels?

Here in The Netherlands they recommend to take some Dextro or a 150ml can of cola (I don't go anywhere without the cola) to raise your blood sugars when having a hypo, followed by some slow release carbs, like a sandwich with cheese.

For a hyper it is recommended to drink lost of water and do some exercise as soon as you are able.

Different countries, different protocols?