Questions

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
What kind of things do you eat in a day? I'll be honest, overwhelmed with recipes etc but I just wondered what those of you who have succeeded in reversing your diabetes and/or losing weight eat. Also, does everyone fast? If so, how long for?

What kind of things do you take in a pack up for lunch?

Sorry and thankyou!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there lcarter. I can see after all the about faces you've had with your diabetes, things could be really challenging right now.

Firstly, in terms of fast, I have only done a handful of fasts beyond overnight until late morning, which, from eating the previous evening would equate to around 12-14 hours - depending how lazy we are, in terms of getting up.

My fast is usually broken by tea, with milk, then a while later I'll have a home made a Greek style yoghurt. If I'm away from home, like now, where unsweetened plain yoghurts are more difficult to source, I usually break my fast with a couple of hard boiled eggs and a bit of salad. Here salad means cucumber, tomato and whatever else I see on the market.

Lunchtime, at home, I usually have a gonagerous salad, with plenty mayo, as I need the calories, so mayo amounts are adjusted, depending on what's going on the rest of the day, and what the plan is for our evening meal.

Evening meal will be meat and veggies, or curry or whatever. Where we are now, it'll be curry, or last night I had a ginagerrous fulled omelette and that was it. For me, last nights meal filled me, but I'm certain I was calorie deficient on the day, but one day doesn't matter too much. It's the bigger picture.

When I have fasted, , it hasn't been for weight loss, as I'm very slight already, so I have prepared for those, by ensuring I had lots of nutrition onboard for beginning the fast.

I have generally used fasting to turn off any hunger signals - like on long haul flights where I feel pretty certain the food offerings won't be appealing to me -not necessarily about the carb contents, as the servings can be modest, but more about dietary tastes. One one instance I flew with a Korean airline, where the meal description and the appearance weren't too similar, in my view.

I'm also gluten free, which add to the mix. I didn't trust the meal to be properly GF. I know that's shabby of me, but it was what it was.

I rarely sneak, but when I do, I'll grab some cheese, or cold meat, or pork rinds to crunch on. Yesterday I picked up a pack of spice, crispy chicken skin that I haven't tried, so that'll be a new one for me.

Take it steady lcarter. I know you want those numbers down, but take your time to feel comfortable with it all.

Just the additional context, I have never really tried to achieve ketosis. For me it has always been a bit of a so what. Provided I ham achieving decent test result, and enjoying my food, ketosis isn't important - to me.

Reactions: lcarter

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @lcarter

I’ve used intermittent fasting quite extensively - less so now than when I was really dropping weight quite quickly.

I skip breakfast, starting the day either just with a very large glass of water or that plus a mug of tea with either lactofree whole milk or double cream, then eat within as narrow a window as my day allows - ideally a 4 to 5 hour window. I like to eat the evening meal no later than 6pm if at all possible, so lunch (if eaten) will be timed accordingly. At weekends I tend to eat just once, around 4pm. However, if I am genuinely hungry (eating this way has taught me to recognise real hunger), I will adjust this pattern.

When I was in my main weight loss phase I had several extended periods - two to three weeks at a time of just eating one meal. I had a lot of weight to lose and my body’s fat reserves meant I didn’t get excessively hungry during that period.

Nowadays I eat a mostly liberal carnivore diet so only animal related products, cooked simply - things like slow roasts of oxtail, beef short ribs, lamb shoulder or chicken wings done in the air fryer; sometimes a pizza made with carnivore or fat head dough. It’s been a progressive journey to this point. Initially I just ditched the beige carbs and cooked pretty much as before with a few subs - Bolognese sauce with courgetti, smaller portions of meat/fish than I eat now but with above ground veggies such as broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower etc. added.

If you’re looking for ideas, why not join us on this thread: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-1706 it’s a friendly, chatty thread with people eating various styles of low-carb/keto/carnivore and posting their daily menus.

Hope some of that helps.