Quick basel question?

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sooo assume I have breakfast and take the supporting bolus to cover it and 2.5 hours later number return to pre breakfast and then in the next couple of hours they start to climb but slowly I am assuming the basel is out right?

Example

07.00am level = 6 eat and take bolus
09.00am level = 5.6
10.30am level = 6.6
11:00am level = 7.2

by lunch time it will be around 8. I'd love to eat a snack between 10 and 11 but like this it will shoot my levels to like 10 by 12. I am thinking that by 10:30 the bolus has almost finished.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In theory it would suggest your basal is too low, but it also depends on what you may have eaten for breakfast and also if the bolus is correct. A proper basal test is whats really needed.

D

Deleted Account

Also, you can take corrective doses as you see your BG rising if it does not happen every day.
And you can take these corrections with your bolus for your snack.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Basel is testing something I can do my self at home right, as it's basically fasting over a small period of time once the carbs and any bolus is finished and monitor the background insulin.

Anyone know if there's a decent set of instructions and worksheet to download.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Basel is testing something I can do my self at home right, as it's basically fasting over a small period of time once the carbs and any bolus is finished and monitor the background insulin.

Anyone know if there's a decent set of instructions and worksheet to download.
Good question. A similar thing is happening to me. I'd love some simple instructions too

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What does your sugar level do overnight? Have u tried testing during the night?

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Over night it somehow rises for a couple of hours then regulates itself back into range by the time I get up.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The question is what did you have for breakfast. It looks to me like something contributed to a slow sugar rise.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
HI, no use for me though but thanks. I'm afraid it uses a different set of measurements. Need something mmol
You just divide by 18 for mmol figure.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The question is what did you have for breakfast. It looks to me like something contributed to a slow sugar rise.

Sorry for the late response but breakfast consisted of

4 eggs scrambled with a touch of olive oil
Tea with 200ml of semi skimmed milk
2 brown bread toasts with natural crunchy peanut butter (made with 100% peanuts only, nothing added)

Marcos = Carbs 43g, Fats 41g, Proteins 44g - Took 10 units of NovoRapid at 7am for this and breakfast sugar was 6.

So nothing too whacky there.

Levels been around 6 - 7.5 until about 11:30 and now lunch time up to 8!!! Not had any snacks either and starving now.

On the old 30/70 this would have been fine and by about 10:30 - 11:00 levels would be floating around 4-5 and if I didn't eat a small snack would hypo before lunch. On the MDI I can't really eat anything between injections once the bolus runs out otherwise I get a spike, tbh the whole regime seems abit ***** for my body type anyway and leaves me feeling quite hungry!!!

Happy to take on any advice that may help tho,

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Looking at this I would say the fats have slowed things down and I find brown bread releases slower than white. To be fair 8 isn’t far out. It would be interesting to see if you continued to rise if you didn’t eat TIL evening. Then that would be your basal.