Quick bit of advice please

SisterMary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I started the lchf programme Wednesday headaches have passed feel good today , cravings under control and I have eaten less than 35g of carbs each day. I tested my BG this morning and it's still higher in the morning . I'm new to diabetes so is this normal?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very often it is normal since if you haven't eaten for some time the body provides some sugar from the liver to tide you over. Look up liver dump or Dawn Phenomenon.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
The longer you low carb the lower your numbers will become, so patience and endurance are the keys

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, it's quite normal and natural - your body needs energy to get going in the mornings, and if you haven't eaten for a while (i.e. overnight) then your liver will usually offer a helping hand in the form of a liver dump and you get a rise in glucose levels. And this dump happens to diabetic and non diabetics alike.

When you've been low (enough) carbing for a while your body should learn to switch over to burning fat as needs be, and since it can also store much more of this than it can fuel from carbs, your liver will have less work to do, and so you should hopefully see a reduction in your morning levels.

Robbity

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
your morning reading will come down a bit but it can take ages.. took mine about 6 month before that started to be the same as my nighttime readings. Don't worry about it... its more important to do the before and 2 hour after food readings to see what your blood sugar control is like. The morning one is more of long term goal. Hope that helps.