Quick query please - need rapid advice

SamSam26

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, 13yr old son (newly diagnosed) has been running high sugars but today was 6.1 before dinner and was complaining of a really bad headache. Has now fallen asleep on the sofa and is difficult to rouse. I tested his sugars and he didn't even react to that - shows 4.2 just now. Can sort of get him to open his eyes but no real response to questions about how he feels. Won't come round. Is he just tired (first day back in school routine) or should I do something? Due to take basal insulin at 10pm. Has been very grumpy earlier this evening. Sorry - am a natural worrier!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, 4.2 isn't actually hypo, but he definitely seems to be feeling the affects. If that was my son, I would wake him, and try to get him to drink something sweet. If no proper response or your really worried and concerned, phone 999 for assistance. Please do what you think is best, but looks as though he could do with medical help ?
RRB
edited, Never force a diabetic to drink or eat if patient is groggy or unresponsive. Seek medical help asap.
All the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people

SamSam26

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks RRB - always worried about being a drama queen. Will go poke him a bit more as a start and see if he will drink something.

Reactions: 6 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would not know what to advise, but certainly would not take any chances. So would get medical advice either by ringing 111, or if really worried 999.

Hope he is ok.

Reactions: 6 people

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep what robin redbreast says
I've had this with my T1 partner and if in doubt 999
Hope he's ok

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It's better to be safe than sorry. Please could you keep us updated if possible?

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Wake the boy and get him to eat or drink something, if he is unresponsive then seek medical attention, he may well just be tired after a hard day at school but don't let him sleep any longer with a bg level of 4.2mmol.

Reactions: 8 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
thanks RRB - always worried about being a drama queen. Will go poke him a bit more as a start and see if he will drink something.

Yes give him a great big poke. He may just be very tired, but he could still be dropping............

SamSam26

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
thank you everyone. He has come round now but still groggy and VERY grumpy. Won't drink or eat anything - refusing and acting really angry. Done another check and gone up to just under 5 so backing off for now till he calms down. This is extremely out of character for him - normally very easy going and placid. Just our luck that he may have hit puberty at the same time as getting diagnosed :arghh: Feeling just a tad stressed.....

Reactions: 8 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks for letting us know what was happening. You could be right with the hormones, I have a teenager too. I hope his BS continues to rise to a good level and you all have a peaceful and a safe night.

Best wishes RRB

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people

SamSam26

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for all being so quick to give advice - much appreciated - no one to bounce ideas off here except the cats and to be frank they could pull their weight a bit more :joyful:

Reactions: 11 people

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for all being so quick to give advice - much appreciated - no one to bounce ideas off here except the cats and to be frank they could pull their weight a bit more :joyful:

There are some great people here so don't hesitate to ask if you have a concern.
Your boy will get through this as will you,
It can be terrifying at times but you will cope and as time goes on learn the signs of your boy going low even without testing.
I know I was terrified the first few times my partner went hypo on me, she was a lot younger and a lot less controlled then, but you soon pick it up and start to read the signals. She usually starts to talk rubbish (not that she doesn't usually ;) but more than usual ) then we have the agitated grumpy stages lol.
You will get there Sam take care of your boy but take care of yourself too that's important.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My ex partner and I remained good friends. One day when he came over, I took a while to open the door and said " hello dear" he knew straight away something was up and yes I was hypo :oops:( our teenager was much younger then)

RRB :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @SamSam26
I realise the incident has passed but your original query included the fact your son was newly diagnosed and still running fairly high sugars - he was close enough to hypo levels to be exhibiting the symptoms for sure

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Glad he is ok. Get him checked by your GP

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sam,

I concur with what himtoo said earlier. As you have previously mentioned he is running levels higher than normal and as he is newly diagnosed has probably been doing this for a few months prior to diagnosis. When your sugars run too high for a long period hypo symptoms can develop at a higher level than normal. These are classic hypo symptoms (they do vary and you don't always get the same ones which just add to the fun) so I hope this has helped.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, just wondering how your boy is today with his BS, did nightime go okay or any problems?
I hope all is well and hoping today will be better :)

Best wishes RRB

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Couple things..
1 - I am impressed he was able to sleep at 4.2 lol Usually i wake up and have trouble sleeping if my sugars get below 5 lol
2 - The headache may be because he was so used to high sugars that 5, is relatively low, so his body feels 'low' when its still normalizing.
3- You should still be careful about those readings because glucometers have an error range. So it could SAY 4.2 and actually be 3.8, or 5... and then when you checked again and it SAID 5 and you thought 'its gone up' well maybe the first one was error low, and this is error high and really nothings actually changed either way. So it didn't 'go up' at all.
I learned this because i checked my sugars, got 6.2 on my freestyle and then got busy and 5 minutes later checked them again and got 6.9. That was 5 min apart, without eating or drinking or anything.. So its possible that a 5 isn't a 5, or a 4.2 isn't a 4.2 the readings could be higher or lower.

Also, teenagers can have attitudes lol Especially when all they want to do is sleep and mum keeps waking them and hassling them about stuff they don't care about, but thats your job, so if that way my kid i wouldn't worry about it hell thank you when hes older lol So hang in there until then! haha

Reactions: 3 people

SamSam26

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, just wondering how your boy is today with his BS, did nightime go okay or any problems?
I hope all is well and hoping today will be better :)

Best wishes RRB
Hi sorry for the late reply. Nightime went ok. He had two hypos at school at around 3 but all got handled smoothly between him and the nurse. Spoken to the DN - thinking about reducing his insulin as maybe he as reached the honeymoon thing. Thank you so much for supporting me the other evening :)

Reactions: 3 people

SamSam26

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Couple things..
1 - I am impressed he was able to sleep at 4.2 lol Usually i wake up and have trouble sleeping if my sugars get below 5 lol
2 - The headache may be because he was so used to high sugars that 5, is relatively low, so his body feels 'low' when its still normalizing.
3- You should still be careful about those readings because glucometers have an error range. So it could SAY 4.2 and actually be 3.8, or 5... and then when you checked again and it SAID 5 and you thought 'its gone up' well maybe the first one was error low, and this is error high and really nothings actually changed either way. So it didn't 'go up' at all.
I learned this because i checked my sugars, got 6.2 on my freestyle and then got busy and 5 minutes later checked them again and got 6.9. That was 5 min apart, without eating or drinking or anything.. So its possible that a 5 isn't a 5, or a 4.2 isn't a 4.2 the readings could be higher or lower.

Also, teenagers can have attitudes lol Especially when all they want to do is sleep and mum keeps waking them and hassling them about stuff they don't care about, but thats your job, so if that way my kid i wouldn't worry about it hell thank you when hes older lol So hang in there until then! haha
Thank you - so much to think about isn't there? I am trying not to wind him up but probably will without realising it :eek: