Quick question - please help!

scottishkate

Hi everyone,

So I got up the courage to open up the box my new pump came in today and thought I might aswell try out an infusion set. So I am now attached to the pump (no insulin in it though!) but I have no idea as to how to remove the set! Do I just pick at the adhesice and pull it straight out? I can only find instructions which tell me how to insert it not take it out!

It's a medtronic minimed pump and it's the quickset infusion.

jopar

Hi Kate

I loosen the adhesive dressing then as I use the Tenderlink Teflon angled set, I pull the patch from the canular side then pull off in the direction of the canular so that it just eases out…

The canular is so small and fine, I do check that the canular isn’t bent in any way, which for the Teflon sets I have found one yet…

Hope this helps

scottishkate

Thanks Jopar, Sue,

I'm just going to ease it out gently. At least it was painless putting it in. One scary bit over :D

Katie

iHs

Hello Katie

What you need is LiftPlus Spray medical adhesive remover. It's brilliant stuff, all you do is give a quick spray of LiftPlus over the infusion set, wait a few seconds and then hey presto, it gently pulls off the skin. It's available from Opus Healthcare, Essex. The company gives out free samples.

Hope you like the Quicksets.

scottishkate

HI iHs,

Thank you for that info - I'll get onto the company pronto for some samples. The quickset was okay - I'm going to give the 'silhouette' sets a try tomorrow as I'm qite active and slim and I was a bit scared the quickset might get oulled out easily. The silhouette introducer machine looks a bit scary though! By the time I get to actually starting pump therapy I'll be an expert!

Katie :)

Steveee

Hi Katie,

How did you get on?

I have been using the silhouette set for 2 years. Yes the introducer does look scary, but you soon get used to it. I regularly use a gym and have no problems with this set.

Main issue is the tubing :wink: When I 1st started to use a pump I regulary caught the spare tube on the door handle to my office. :? So keep it tucked in....

With regards taking the set out, I use the old plaster trick, i.e. yank it off as quickly as possible.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The silhouette introducer machine looks a bit scary though! By the time I get to actually starting pump therapy I'll be an expert!

I use silhouettes but gave up with the inserter. I know some people find no problems but I find it far easier and less scary to put the sets in by hand. That way I have more control.

mmackay20040

Hi, I've got the same pump and have used the quicksets and the silhoutte kits. I just loosen the sticky bit and then pull it out. I don't think there's any sort of 'taker-outer' device!! How are you finding the pump so far??

Marie xx

scottishkate

Thanks for all your replies!

I've tried the silhoutte and it seems to be okay - I haven't actally tried it with insulin yet so we'll see. I've just been hooking myself up so I can get used to being attached. So far it's okay - although I went out last night on a bit of a post-rugby pub crawl and ended up taking the **** thing off because it was really starting to irritate me (clipped to my bra under my arm - starting rubbing a bit - any tips?). Don't suppose I'll be able to that when I get started for real though :(
Another wee question - does everyone use their stomach for the set? I have always injected into my thighs and I find it really horrible using my stomach - guess I'd get use to it after a while.

Katie

mmackay20040

I tend to use my thighs and stomach. I don't use my bum or my arms for the pump, just find it a bit weird! As for advice on where to keep it, I either clip mine into my trouser pocket (with the pump inside the pocket) or onto the middle of my bra (i.e. on the bit between your breasts!). I find it sits quite comfortably in those places but then it just depends on yourself. Good luck and I hope you get on well! Any other questions, just ask!

Marie xx

Slinger

i have the accu-chek spirit pump and use an elasticated belt that has a velcro fastening and goes under my clothes. at night lift the belt up so that it sits just under my breast bone. have a pouch for the pump that the belt fits through. took a few days to get use to but no problems now

Ste

timbogay

phoenix said:
The silhouette introducer machine looks a bit scary though! By the time I get to actually starting pump therapy I'll be an expert!

I use silhouettes but gave up with the inserter. I know some people find no problems but I find it far easier and less scary to put the sets in by hand. That way I have more control.
i use medtronic veo pump witha quick-serter infusion device how can you insert the infusion sets manually?
many thanks
tim gay :? http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/posting.php?mode=quote&f=14&p=58670#