Type 2 Quick Weight Loss

Rmoliv

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Any tips on how to lose weight really quick?
I once lost 88 lbs in 6 months mostly with diet and 30 min bicycling at home but this time I’m finding it harder to put off weight after I regained those 88 lbs.
I started taking Xigduo and dieting about a week and 1/2 ago and since then I’ve already lost 8 lbs but now it has plateaued... What should I do? Do you agree 12h fasting every day is important to lose weight at a quicker rate? I’d like to lose those extra 88 lbs in 3 months this time. I’m weighting 273 lbs at the moment.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With an HbA1c of 85 your first priority should be getting your blood sugars down.. weight loss will come with that once you have controlled your insulin dysfunction. But fasting can be quite an effective tool as well.

Reactions: Rmoliv

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, @Rmoliv .
As you have most likely noticed, the speed of loss is not the most important thing. It is the maintaining weightloss that counts. What you probably need is not a 'diet' but a way of eating for life. Most members with T2 diabetes find Low carb or ketogenic ways of eating are successful. The weight loss may be slower, but is generally sustained.

That said, some have had success with intermittent fasting, and / or having an 8 hour 'window' to eat, so that they are in effect fasting for 16 hours.

I have had rapid weight loss using Newcastle diet method. However, this needs careful consideration, and includes a follow on plan after the initial Very Low Calorie phase.

What you probably don't want me to tell you is that there is no quick fix. Most crash diets fail long term, and yoyo dieting is just not good for you. Sorry to be bearer of bad news, but will reiterate.... You don't need a diet, you need a forever eating plan.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Hi pip

Out of interest what is the follow on plan for the Newcastle diet

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
While it is good to have a target for your ideal weight the timescale must be realistic. I lost too much weight too fast and I am struggling to regain some of that weight. As has been said, at the moment your priority should be your bg and lowering A1c. The weight loss could be descibed as a bonus or side effect of lowering bg levels. A little patience and a little tweaking will see you back on the road to better health.

By the way, my weight loss fluctuated between one and three pounds either way throughout that period and stalled a couple of times. It is not unusual at all.

Rmoliv

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi thank you everyone for your replies and suggestions. It’s just that I tend to lose motivation when I don’t see quick results. Guess I’ll have to deal with that.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi thank you everyone for your replies and suggestions. It’s just that I tend to lose motivation when I don’t see quick results. Guess I’ll have to deal with that.
Quick results are great if they spur you on and I would suggest that you would get those from ultra low carb. It certainly worked for me. However the key to maintaining weight loss is to transition into a way of eating that is sustainable and that is where ultra low calorie diets fall down because (as anyone who has severely restricted calories will tell you) it is far to easy to pile the weight back on when returning to "normal" eating. If you can get used to low carbing it becomes second nature and due to the satiation effect of upping dietary fat then you don't really "fall off the wagon" and can maintain a lighter you in the future. That at least has been my experience and that of quite a few others. That's the "magic" of a ketogenic way of eating.

Last edited:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use LCHF for controlling glucose levels, but going right down to 20-25 g carbs for a time to help lower them (using Atkins induction phase as a guide) actually started a bonus of very rapid weight loss too. Therafter (generally!) eating under 50g carbs a day has maintained that loss and I've only ever varied a kilo or so either way over the last four years - and without any exercise apart from my usual (in)activities around the house. And my glucose levels have also remained pretty stable.

Getting your body (back) into the way of burning fat instead of relying on carbs for fuel means that you'll have access to your body fat instead of needing to keep topping up with carbs, and you can then adjust fat intake to help lose, maintain - or gain :( - weight more easily.

Robbity

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Pip
Thanks for that link. Am I reading it right that after losing the weight they say you can go back to eating carbs?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pip
Thanks for that link. Am I reading it right that after losing the weight they say you can go back to eating carbs?
My understanding is that the recommendation is to eat a 'healthy' diet. Just eat less. That is putting it simply.
From personal experience, for about two or three years after the calorie restriction phase I was able to eat carbs in great quantity. However, this resulted in regaining around half the weight I had lost. I admit, I hadn't been following the instruction to eat less, though one thing I noticed was that the carbs did not adversely affect my blood glucose levels. I even faced a challenge by some members here to overload on carbs. This was not a good idea, as I find carbs addictive. Inevitably there was more weight gain. I manage to maintain good blood glucose levels by low carbing, and my weight remains fairly static which is currently still in the obese range, and recently have for first time in 7 years had a HbA1c in diabetic range.

Of course the Newcastle team are still using the term 'healthy diet' to mean that recommended by NHS, which in my opinion, is a flaw in their methodology. Also, popular media has jumped on the bandwagon, suggesting Newcastle diet as the 'cure all' for those with T2 diabetes. If only it was so simple!

Reactions: Terrytiddy

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Of course the Newcastle team are still using the term 'healthy diet' to mean that recommended by NHS, which in my opinion, is a flaw in their methodology. Also, popular media has jumped on the bandwagon, suggesting Newcastle diet as the 'cure all' for those with T2 diabetes. If only it was so simple!

Hi Pipp were you actually on the trial or did you do it yourself?
I had a quiet word with a certain GP, who knows Prof Taylor, when I met him who told me that now they are now more likely to recommend a reduced carb diet post the protocol but are not especially keen to publicise this. I don't know if this advice has changed from the "reduce calories by a third" to maintain the weight loss which I know was the advice given to the original two trials participants and in my mind dooms them to failure from the get go in terms of keeping the weight off in the long term.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Pipp were you actually on the trial or did you do it yourself?
I had a quiet word with a certain GP, who knows Prof Taylor, when I met him who told me that now they are now more likely to recommend a reduced carb diet post the protocol but are not especially keen to publicise this. I don't know if this advice has changed from the "reduce calories by a third" to maintain the weight loss which I know was the advice given to the original two trials participants and in my mind dooms them to failure from the get go in terms of keeping the weight off in the long term.

When I corresponded with Professor Taylor, back in 2014 (how time flies!), I was asking him about PFTs, weight loss by other means (in my case LC, eating to my meter, with no regard to weight), then maintenance mode, having potentially crossed my PFT, I asked about follow on ways of eating.

In his response, Professor taylor states that LC tends (in 2014) to be the most popular and successful in terms of long term weight loss, but whatever suits the individual is acceptable.

That isn't a copy and paste from the email, but is effectively his comment.

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Rmoliv On my blood test end of April my HbA1c was 82, weight 157kg and blood glucose 16.6. I went straight for Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) & 15 -20g carbs per day. I also started to fast 18/6. I dropped my carbs to 5g and started to fast 23/1. I find this easy as I'm not hungry. My results last week HbA1c 41 weight 4 stone off and bg 4.7 averaged over 30 days. When I've got more weight off I will look at going back to 15 - 20g carbs. As mentioned its a way of eating and not a "diet" as such. We are all different and on different meds so just adjust things to suit you. Good luck on your journey.:)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@bulkbiker, @DCUKMod

My experience with Newcastle diet, and communications with the research team, were in the very early days, starting with emails way back in 2010. I had read an article about the Prof's work in a newspaper, went and found the journal article and used it in an argumement with the doctor at the local NHS weight management service who had insisted that the only solution for my problem was surgery.
I was not on the official research trial, and, after making the initial enquiry, left much of the communication with the research team to my GP, who at that time seemed to have more time for new and innovative patient centred interventions. He had taken some convincing at first, thinking I was some sort of nut who wanted a miracle. Which was why I thought it best if he asked the questions of the 'experts', rather than try to convince him myself. It was summer 2011 before I made the start with the meal replacements. What I got from the Newcastle team was the standard info given regarding meal replacement, followed by calorie restriction for ever. Oh and because I had sparked his interest the GP and local independent pharmacist monitored the process in the meal replacement and transition phases.

Rmoliv

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Rmoliv On my blood test end of April my HbA1c was 82, weight 157kg and blood glucose 16.6. I went straight for Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) & 15 -20g carbs per day. I also started to fast 18/6. I dropped my carbs to 5g and started to fast 23/1. I find this easy as I'm not hungry. My results last week HbA1c 41 weight 4 stone off and bg 4.7 averaged over 30 days. When I've got more weight off I will look at going back to 15 - 20g carbs. As mentioned its a way of eating and not a "diet" as such. We are all different and on different meds so just adjust things to suit you. Good luck on your journey.:)

Hi thanks for sharing your story, it is very encouraging. Did you go to the gym or do any sort of exercise on your own as well? I must admit I’m a bit lazy to work out. And how do you count the carbs? Do you actually do the math based on the nutrional info of your food to know precisely the quantity you should eat?

Last edited: