Quinoa Carbs

hague161

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tabloid newspapers, Right wing politics, Semolina
Does anyone out there have any experience of carbs re Quinoa - it's not mentioned in my DAFNE booklet. I think that they are about 20% carbohydrate, but I'm not sure if I need to count them or if they are too long acting to worry about. Quinoa seems to be an increasing part of my diet these days.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Does anyone out there have any experience of carbs re Quinoa - it's not mentioned in my DAFNE booklet. I think that they are about 20% carbohydrate, but I'm not sure if I need to count them or if they are too long acting to worry about. Quinoa seems to be an increasing part of my diet these days.
There's 60.5 g per 100gms so it says on the packet in my cupboard :)

hague161

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tabloid newspapers, Right wing politics, Semolina
Thanks for that - I'd thrown my packet away. So I need to count them, however when I did DAFNE they told me to ignore some foods with quite a high proportion of carbs such as Parsnip (about 20%) because it was so long acting as to make little difference. I wondered if it might be the same for Quinoa.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks for that - I'd thrown my packet away. So I need to count them, however when I did DAFNE they told me to ignore some foods with quite a high proportion of carbs such as Parsnip (about 20%) because it was so long acting as to make little difference. I wondered if it might be the same for Quinoa.
I always count the carbs in everything I eat. It is surprising how those few carbs here and there soon add up.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Trust me, it's not ! Quinoa needs a carb ratio as for any other grain type carb .

This it one area where I emphatically disagree with DAFNE , that certain foods magically require no bolus because of a low GI factor . It very much depends on the quantity, for example someone may only eat one parsnip roasted, but consume several in parsnip and pea soup . Pulses are said to not need bolusing for, but unless it is a minuscule quantity, yes they do :rolleyes:

The only way you can find out what your toleration level is to a given quantity is suck it and see. According to Cook and Count 100g of cooked quinoa =18.5g carb, so not an insignificant amount of carbs there :rolleyes:

Signy

Reactions: 7 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Quinoa is a difficult one to bolus for - it is very high carb food, but it doesn't start raising my BG for a couple of hours. When I eat quinoa, I split bolus - deal with the rest of the meal in a pre-meal meal bolus and jab again for the full amount of quinoa at about the two-hour mark - sometimes a bit later.

Smidge

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
I don't know why, but couscous and quinoa seems to spike me like CRAZY. I had to stop eating them because my sugar would shoot up to like 16 when it's normally below 10 after meals. Yet there are other foods higher GI which I cope with fine.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I count everything though for the really slow release carbs I will sometimes either split my dose or inject in sites where I know I tend to have ha slower release.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I don't know why, but couscous and quinoa seems to spike me like CRAZY. I had to stop eating them because my sugar would shoot up to like 16 when it's normally below 10 after meals. Yet there are other foods higher GI which I cope with fine.
That could just be the timing of the spike not corresponding with your insulin peak. Perhaps worth trying a split as @AndyS suggests.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm on 30/70, so not happening haha.
Ah ok then another option to try is to have the quinoa with your evening meal and instead of injecting 30 mins before your meal inject just before. I do this with certain foods as use animal insulin which requires a bolus 30 mins before I eat.