Quit smoking and high sugar levels

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gave up smoking 2 years ago, shortly after T2D diagnosis. Don't think it affected my BS too much and I quit by vaping instead. (and still do)
I'm vaping some of the time, just to get over the cravings. Do you vape the flavoured juice or the tobacco juice. Just wondered if the flavoured ones affected BS in people?

JimPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Tried many makes & flavours until I settled on a couple of favourites. Vape these pretty much exclusively. 1-2 10mg bottles per day low nicotine strength; either 3 or 6mg/ml (worked down gradually from the strongest strength). Flavours are both berry & menthol types. One has a bit of an aniseed flavour as well.
Vaped & smoked alternately for a while before just stopping the cigs in September 2017. No bother with cravings at all. I found it surprisingly easy despite being a heavy smoker for many years.

Never noticed an effect on BS either way. Last couple of HbA1c have been 36 (due again soon). Was 102 at diagnosis.

Last edited:

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
ust wanted some advice from anybody who has been a smoker. I stopped smoking 12 weeks ago as I decided that it’s silly to carry on with this destructive habit while I am being so good with my diet and exercise. And obviously every doctor and nurse telling me it’s the worst thing to do when diabetic. My problem is that my sugar levels are increasing without me changing anything else (eating more etc.) I have been vaping and I take 1.5mg nicotine lozengers, but only when I really have to.

My fasting levels in the morning are now in the high 7’s and 8’s. After the same breakfast as always I was 10.4 one hour after and 8.8 2 hours after.

I saw my diabetic nurse and told her what was happening and she said that my sugar levels should go down, not up when quitting smoking. She then suggested adding another tablet to try and get my levels down. I said I didn’t want to do that, so I am having a HBA1C test next week to check the level. I know it’s gone up by at least 3 points as my blood monitor and mysugr apt. shows this.

Has this happened to anyone else. I’m thinking of taking up smoking again if this doesn’t settle down, I thought not smoking was the best thing you could do for your health , but it doesn’t seem that way to me at the moment.

I gave up smoking at the end of May after 40 years on the stuff. (20-30 a Day). In May after a heart attack, angioplasty and diabetes diagnosis I spoke with my GP and like you I went on to a vape. I just use the vape and not lozengers. (One 2ml Pod @ 20mg/ml)

In May when diagnosed, my readings averaged 12 - 15 and now average 5 - 9.

In my case the vape does not seem to have increased my readings and they have dropped.

Not missing cigarettes since day 1 and wishing I had given up sooner. (I am now recorded at the surgery as a Non Smoker :):):)).

I wonder if the lozengers could be the cause?

Have a read of this -

https://www.drugs.com/cdi/nicotine-lozenges.html

It lists this amongst other things -

• If you have high blood sugar (diabetes), you will need to watch your blood sugar closely.

Keep persevering.

Last edited:

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I gave up smoking at the end of May after 40 years on the stuff. (20-30 a Day). In May after a heart attack, angioplasty and diabetes diagnosis I spoke with my GP and like you I went on to a vape. I just use the vape and not lozengers. (One 2ml Pod @ 20mg/ml)

In May when diagnosed, my readings averaged 12 - 15 and now average 5 - 9.

In my case the vape does not seem to have increased my readings and they have dropped.

Not missing cigarettes since day 1 and wishing I had given up sooner. (I am now recorded at the surgery as a Non Smoker :):):)).

I wonder if the lozengers could be the cause?

Have a read of this -

https://www.drugs.com/cdi/nicotine-lozenges.html

It lists this amongst other things -

• If you have high blood sugar (diabetes), you will need to watch your blood sugar closely.

Keep persevering.
Thank you for that. I think I'll stop the lozenges and just stick to the vape. My levels seem to be higher lately even though I am low-carbing and haven't been eating any more than before. I'm waiting for my results which should be back tomorrow but I know they will be higher as I self test. A bit disappointing as before I stopped smoking they were really good, but it could be nothing to do with that and just a coincidence. But, if they are higher I'm not sure what to do as I feel I'm doing everything I can so I suppose I'll have to wait and see. Fingers crossed.

rden66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I gave up smoking 5 years ago,i did use e- cigs for 3 months to help get over it. It didn't affect my blood sugar levels . Giving up gives you your lungs back and your able to do all those things that used to leave you out of breath with ease.

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I gave up smoking 5 years ago,i did use e- cigs for 3 months to help get over it. It didn't affect my blood sugar levels . Giving up gives you your lungs back and your able to do all those things that used to leave you out of breath with ease.
I agree that smoking is a no no, especially with having diabetes. I'm still vaping for now and it's already 4 months since I stopped smoking, time goes fast. Unfortunately my sugar levels are still rising and I really don't know why. I don't think it's anything to do with not smoking as I'm sure by now they would be stabilising. I'm not eating differently and I haven't put any weight on so as I say I have no idea what's going on. Still, I'm not gonna start smoking again so I'll just see how it goes.

Mike Sixx

Just wanted some advice from anybody who has been a smoker. I stopped smoking 12 weeks ago as I decided that it’s silly to carry on with this destructive habit while I am being so good with my diet and exercise. And obviously every doctor and nurse telling me it’s the worst thing to do when diabetic. My problem is that my sugar levels are increasing without me changing anything else (eating more etc.) I have been vaping and I take 1.5mg nicotine lozengers, but only when I really have to.

My fasting levels in the morning are now in the high 7’s and 8’s. After the same breakfast as always I was 10.4 one hour after and 8.8 2 hours after.

I saw my diabetic nurse and told her what was happening and she said that my sugar levels should go down, not up when quitting smoking. She then suggested adding another tablet to try and get my levels down. I said I didn’t want to do that, so I am having a HBA1C test next week to check the level. I know it’s gone up by at least 3 points as my blood monitor and mysugr apt. shows this.

Has this happened to anyone else. I’m thinking of taking up smoking again if this doesn’t settle down, I thought not smoking was the best thing you could do for your health , but it doesn’t seem that way to me at the moment.
How is your diet ? Many people who quit smoking get really bad graving for sweets and in food general. As smoking is pretty good appetite suppressant.

Also stress releases hormones that raises blood glucose levels to give you a boost. For me stress raises BG over one mmol. Like my fasting measurement of 5.1 it had gone to 6.5 in an hour when I started stressing my diabetes and measured again, without eating anything.

Last edited:

Mike Sixx

How is your diet ? Many people who quit smoking get really bad graving for sweets and in food general. As smoking is pretty good appetite suppressant.

Also stress releases hormones that raises blood glucose levels to give you a boost. For me stress raises BG over one mmol. Like my fasting measurement of 5.1 it had gone to 6.5 in an hour when I started stressing my diabetes and measured again, without eating anything between measurements.