1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

R-ala

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by maryrachel, Feb 20, 2020.

1. maryrachel

maryrachel Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi. Has anyone got any experience of taking r-ala? What did you take it for? How effective was it, what amount per day and where would you recommend getting it from? I am hoping it will help with restless legs and neuropathy??

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

3. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

I have taken it for several years. I only have very mild neuropathy in my feet (caused by chemotherapy, not diabetes) but I find the R-ALA makes it disappear. I stopped taking it a couple of years ago and the neuropathy came back, so I started again and am still taking it.

I buy mine from here https://www.healthmonthly.co.uk/swa... Double Strength R-Fraction Alpha Lipoic Acid

and have one 100mg tablet a day, but as I said, my problem was very mild.

It is worth a try.

4. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Hi @maryrachel, sorry, I have no knowledge of r-ala, but I do have Restless Leg Syndrome and I take Ropinirole, twice a day, prescribed by my Gp

5. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Hello there Mary - I took it for a couple of months ago for post-surgical neuropthy on my ribs I was told might, or might not, go away naturally.

After several weeks, my neuropathy eased, to the point where provided I don't wear underwired bras for any more than a few hours, I can manage it well.

Did the R-ALA work it's magic, or did Mother Nature just do what she can do well? Who knows, but it felt good at the time to be trying something to ease the pain that didn't involve heavy meds.

In winding up, I'll just say, I'm not huge on supplements, but when doing my research, I couldn't find anything reporting R-ALA as being harmful or having alarming interactions, so it seemed worthwhile giving it a go.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook