Raised Creatinine & Tsh

mkzp123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

My 12-year-old son had his bloods tested following his diabetic appointment at the hospital last week

We have today received a letter saying he needs to go in for a further blood test for Urea & Electrolytes as had raised creatinine & tsh on previous samples

Unfortunately we received the letter after the diabetic team had closed today and we are quite worried as had no phone call etc regarding the request for another blood test to be done.

Any information will be helpful as after a few google searches it has got us worried as it is to do with kidney failures

Thanks

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi guys,

My 12-year-old son had his bloods tested following his diabetic appointment at the hospital last week

We have today received a letter saying he needs to go in for a further blood test for Urea & Electrolytes as had raised creatinine & tsh on previous samples

Unfortunately we received the letter after the diabetic team had closed today and we are quite worried as had no phone call etc regarding the request for another blood test to be done.

Any information will be helpful as after a few google searches it has got us worried as it is to do with kidney failures

Thanks
Hi @mkzp123 I was 15 when the hospital first mentioned this to me in 1973. My kidneys lasted another 40 years before I had a kidney/pancreas transplant in 2013. The reason I mention this is that in the 70's there were no portable blood testing meters. In early 1979 I borrowed one that was bigger than a cassette tape player and was given very expensive strips by the hospital. Up until that year my diabetes, which started in July 1959, was very poorly controlled. From then on, I took it very seriously and keeping my blood sugar at an average of between 6 and 7% for much of the time (this is not always possible because of bugs, stress and anything else which calls on the adrenaline system) meant that my kidney function declined very gradually rather than the frightening rate in those six years. Balance is the key and with today's technology and understanding, your son stands a high chance of keeping nephrologically well. I wish him and the family every success.

Last edited: