Raised Numbers Due To Hot Weather

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I keep a colour coded spreadsheet of my fbg, and it is noticeable that during the recent hot weather the figures were up by 1, putting me in the diabetic range (5.6+). There was nothing I could do, I tried eating earlier in the evening, missing the late night piece of cheese and more exercise. A meal that was OK (+1.5 or less) was increasing my numbers by 2 or even more. I was beginning to think that I may have to, reluctantly, return to my GP, admit defeat with being diet and exercise controlled, and ask for medication. Since the weather cooled my numbers have dropped back and are firmly non-diabetic (4.2 - 5.2).I can see the last day of the heat on the sheet. My weight has also dropped by 7lb, probably water retention to which I am prone in hot weather. I am eating the same as before, using the same carton of strips in my meter. Have other members noticed the changes with the weather? It makes me wonder if there will be a number of people diagnosed from their HbA1c as tipping over into diabetic in the next couple of months who should instead be told to just watch their diet, and t2 diabetics who will have their medication increased when it is simply a case of bodies not coping with the unusual weather. Watch out for a flood of new members to the forum!

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I was beginning to think that I may have to, reluctantly, return to my GP, admit defeat with being diet and exercise controlled, and ask for medication.

It's going to depend on the GP. As I am definitely diabetic, my GP tends to be more interested in my HbA1c than my day to day BG readings. Even then she will take into account things like illnesses and weather. So, for example in March my HbA1c was 51, not good, above what we'd like, however for 4 weeks after Christmas, I had flu like symptoms, basically felt like I'd done ten rounds with Mike Tyson, so she didn't immediately think of prescribing more medication. Since March I've struggled with the Dawn Phenomena and the hot weather didn't help my daily averages, I thought my most recent HbA1c was going to be the same. Pleasantly surprised it was 43, pat on back from DN, well done and a gold star. With the slightly colder weather I'm now noticing lower daily averages.