Raised welt on cannular site of quickset

Blissfool

Hi

The last 5-6 site changes for my son's cannular have left him with a raised circular welt, pale in colour, surrounding the hole, and with red circle surrounding the white one...if that makes any sense. It goes down, but the site remains sore for longer and I've also noticed that 24 hr later, if he bathes, a red rash appears around the site, on the buttock and down the muscle of the leg. He currently only has sets put on his bum and alternates side each change.

Has anyone got any experience of this or clue to what is happening and why? We've only used these sets in the 4 mtgs he has been diagnosed, but before this started, site changes were good.

Vik x

sugar2

Hi Vik,
Not claiming to be an expert here...so just a suggestion, but it sounds like he has becaome sensitised to something to do with the cannula? I have had soemthing similar...I used to be fine with silver jewellry, then one day, my body just had enough...and I get a similar raised patch, and soreness. I am now basically allergic to one of the metals that they put in the silver. Alas, it also causes me problems with teh canualas..and I have to have plastic ones. I am on a Accuchek pump...so different cannulas to your son. It could be that he has become sensitised to the adhesive, or maybe something as random as not cleaningthe site very well, and trapping something like washing powder close to his skin?

Only a asuggestion I am afraid, not concinced that this is teh case, but wanted to reply in case it may help?

Blissfool

My concern is that he has developed a sensitivity either to the plastic or to the insulin itself. Or that the sites are "tired". Won't be something trapped, as we are very careful to wipe site with surgical spirit prior, and I've used this elsewhere with no reaction. Hmmm...perhaps try another cannular?

charlottev22

Hi,

I sometimes have the same problem your son is experiencing. I use a animas 2020 pump and sometimes find the sights get red, raised, sore and sometimes itchy for a few days after they have been removed. I think i sometimes if you insert the canulare to close to muscle tissue it can cause this, I usually use my stomach so if I don't get a fatty bit it can be more painful. I would suggest moving the site around in different areas and on different sides of the body with each new canulare, also I originally started on a 8mm canulare but was changed onto a 6mm. This helped because the wrong size irritated the site. Also I would show the diabetic team who I am sure will have a good idea and see things like this all the time.

I hope some of the info has helped

Charlotte x

Blissfool

Thanks Charlotte - we can only use the buttocks at present because my son is only just 3 and hasn't got enough fat elsewhere and is very scared of the whole thing so is only just getting used to this site, but we do alternate the sides and try to rotate in a circular pattern.

I'd show the diabetes team if I actually evr saw them. Since leaving hospital (after first diagnosis and dka) we have had one visit from our diabetes nurse, and that was at our insistence when the rep from Med was coming to fit our son's pump. But we have taken a pic to take into the clinic appointment next week. Also waiting for his Hb1ac, overdue now by 2 months...

We use a 6mm on him btw. It is really weird how it has just started as befor we had no problems at all. I think that perhaps we are having to go closer to muscle in order to try and avoid laying cannular over previous unhealed entry sites, so the "circle" is getting wider.

Thanks for your replies x

Blissfool

Spoke to medtronic advisor who suggested 3 possible scenarios (in order of severity, most likely first):

Allergic reaction to adhesive: treatment = applying barrier cover before introducing new cannula

Allergic reaction to Teflon inside: treatment = changing onto using stainless steel SureT cannula

Allergic reaction to insulin (since he is also experiencing rash down leg of site): treatment ??????

We are also going to try changing cannula every 36 hrs instead. My son will not be very happy and it will cause him even more upset that before, but sadly we are getting used to having to do the things that hurt now to try and prevent him hurting more later.

iHs

Hello Blissfool

If you are able to buy your infusion sets for your little boy you might like to look at Orbit Micro set. These are available in America and in Europe. APT were thinking of distributing it but not sure if that will still be the case as they now deal with the Dana pump.

Unfortunately most infusion sets will leave a small red cannula mark when pulled out with a white raised lump. It heals up within 4 days or so and usually all that is needed is a dab of Tea Tree Oil or Savlon over the hole to ensure healing.

Blissfool

We didn't worry when it was a red mark and at that point, it went down as you say, after a few days, leaving only a small purple scar at each site. These, however, are much more severe, this last one looked exactly like a perfectly round burn blister, with a clear fluid like substance inside, and has deflated in a similar way, leaving a very raw patch. My son says it doesn't hurt, but it is very hard to tell on someone so young, who has learnt "to be brave" when things hurt...

iHs

Hmmmm that doesn't sound good Blissfool. Think you should see yr gp to get help for the rash and try a small steel needle infusion set to see if this blister thing goes. Don't worry you can't feel it at all once it's been put in and the set is more or less flush with surface of the skin so doesn't tend to catch in clothing.

Hope you can get things sorted for your little boy.