1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Ramadan fasting

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by Teddy pink, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Teddy pink

Teddy pink · Member

Hi ppl,I am a 20 year old type 2 diabetic.i take jalra 50/500 twice a day ,reclide 40 mg twice a day and lantus 14 units once at bedtime .I would like to fast for ramadan but aren't sure if I should continue the same meds while fasting.i couldn't reach out to my endocrinologist so any thoughts will be helpful.thank u

2. UsmanMo96

UsmanMo96 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Are you a type 1? I think usually people who are on insulin should only farst if GP is happy with your blood sugar control. Either way I know many people in my family who go against the GP advice but hopefully you can a phone call with your GP and ask to see if its safe for you.

3. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I am fairly sure that if you Google Ramadan diabetes you will find some guidance. I believe there are special dispensations for various conditions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Teddy pink

Teddy pink · Member

i am a type 2 diabetic.read my previous threads to know more about me.i just couldnt reach the hospital and my gp so i am confused.btw my bgs are pretty fine now.

5. UsmanMo96

UsmanMo96 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

There are certain groups of people and circumstances where you may be exempt from fasting. For example:

• children (under the age of puberty)
    • the elderly
    • the sick
    • those with learning difficulties
    • those who are travelling
    • pregnant, breastfeeding and menstruating women
    • anyone who would be putting their health at serious risk by fasting, eg people who treat their diabetes with insulin or have diabetic complications (damage to eyes, kidney or the nerves in your hand and feet).
    Speak to your religious leader if you want information about whether you are exempt from fasting.

From this website https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.di...s/enjoy-food/eating-with-diabetes/fasting?amp

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

7. Teddy pink

Teddy pink · Member

8. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

9. Artur77

Artur77 · Newbie

I wish you good health and wonderful Ramadan!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook