Range Setting for T2

LadyLovely

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What target range do T2’s set? I’m diet controlled, no meds. I’m confused about what range to set. Can anyone advise please?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Assume you mean for Libre/2?
I started out with the defaults but think I canged the low range.

Report Settings are 4.0 - 7.8 mmol/L

LadyLovely

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Assume you mean for Libre/2?
I started out with the defaults but think I canged the low range.

Report Settings are 4.0 - 7.8 mmol/L
I’ve had it a couple of years but haven’t used it for a while so I think it might be the first one. I can’t see ‘2’ mentioned anywhere.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I’ve had it a couple of years but haven’t used it for a while so I think it might be the first one. I can’t see ‘2’ mentioned anywhere.

Libre is the original.
Libre 2 is the current version with Bluetooth alarms.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What target range do T2’s set? I’m diet controlled, no meds. I’m confused about what range to set. Can anyone advise please?
As a diet controlled T2 you are very unlikely to hypo so the lower limit might as well stay at the default 3.9. The upper limit you will have to decide for yourself depending how well you are trying to be controlled. I think the alarms are of limited use to you, the limits just give a visual indication on the graphs and enable the time in range calculation.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
If I have an appointment coming up I raise the upper limit, on libreview the clever people tend to just look at time in target so I get told off less lol I don’t know who I’m trying to fool, but if I don’t need help, I don’t want to be lectured either :)

Reactions: In Response

LadyLovely

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m not monitored by GP practice as I’ve managed to get to low pre diabetic level with low carb diet. However I haven’t been feeling good recently with a lot of brain fog and extreme hunger so as I thought I would monitor with the libre for two weeks. The libre is showing lower values than the finger pricking strips so not happy with libre and remembered that’s why I stopped using it! I am down to one HBa1c test a year at the GP and next one not due until December. You’d think that they’d make more of an effort to help as I do everything possible to keep my BG readings down.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I have to wait 6 months now that my levels are becoming stable. I think a yearly check up is normal so I am lucky in some respects. I very nearly passed out having bloods last time - never happened before and frightened the nurse lol

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m not monitored by GP practice as I’ve managed to get to low pre diabetic level with low carb diet. However I haven’t been feeling good recently with a lot of brain fog and extreme hunger so as I thought I would monitor with the libre for two weeks. The libre is showing lower values than the finger pricking strips so not happy with libre and remembered that’s why I stopped using it! I am down to one HBa1c test a year at the GP and next one not due until December. You’d think that they’d make more of an effort to help as I do everything possible to keep my BG readings down.
I'm in exactly the same situation.
I find the libre reads 0.5 to 1 lower than finger pricks so I just mentally add 1 in my head to give me a more likely reading.
Hunger is best sorted by adding more protein or fat to what you eat. That shouldn't change your readings at all but should keep you satisfied.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Endo told me the Libre reads the low too low & the high too high in comparison to lab draws, he rated finger pricks more accurate but still not venous lab draws.

The whole thing has nearly put me off self testing tbh

LadyLovely

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It worries me that I can only get tested once a year. The diagnosis came out if the blue - I’ve always been on the skinny side, ate healthily and was very active. I had no symptoms. I’ve also never ever had a GP consultation - always a nurse. The GP is very insistent that I take statins for high cholesterol (which I’ve declined) which I’m sure is more costly to the NHS than a blood test every three months. If I didn’t manage my BG levels I would get tested more, be given monitors and medication instead I’m considered not to be at risk and ignored. On two separate occasions a locum GP and a nurse told me I didn’t have diabetes as I’d managed to get my numbers down to pre diabetic levels. Anyway even though the Freestyle may not be completely accurate it shows that numbers are ok so I’m happy with that.