Rapid Insulin Change

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 17 years ago. As things progressed I was finally diagnosed with Lada in 2018. Until 2 weeks ago I've been using Tresiba as my basal insulin and novo rapid. The latter was taking ages to work or I had crashes. So my diabetic nurse has recommended fiasp and made this change 2 weeks ago. Well it does not do what it says on the tin I.e. 5 mins to work. It seems hours and before I know it I'm up in the high teens and 20's and taking correctional doses. Anyone else out there having this issue. Diabetic nurse thinks lipodystrophy, but having changed sites this is not the case. I'm kind of fed up at the mo, thinking fiasp was gonna be the best thing since sliced bread. Thanks in anticipation

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I had an appointment with my consultant last week himself a type 1 for 49 years and as I was having the same problem with novo rapid \ trurapi being rather slow I asked him about Fiasp , he said he had tried it and it it made no difference to him so said I could give it a try but he wouldn't recommend it , from what I've read on the forum it's a bit of a lottery if it works or not .

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What is your BG level when you inject Fiasp?
I ask because I find the speed at which it works is very dependent on my starting BG.
if I am in the 4s or 5s, it works faster than the carbs I eat are absorbed so I have to bolus after eating.
if I am in double figure, it can take hours to have any affect.

The other thing I have found is that it does not last as long out of the fridge. After a couple of weeks it starts losing its potency.

Some people have found the extra speed wears off over time as their body gets used to it but this is not my experience after a couple of years.

There is an alternative extra fast insulin which could be worth trying - Lyumev.
The downside is that it does not work in NovoPens so you lose some of the “smart” features.

• Agree
Reactions: Hopeful34