Rashes on legs and bum

mikey97

Hi my son who is 11 is type 1 since Feb 08 he has 3 types of insulin but recently where he does his injections on either his legs or his bum he gets really bad rashes which are red and sometimes they ooze liquid out of them.I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem as he has had tablets and cream from the dr's but when the course is finished the rashes appear back.I would appreciate any infomation on this.

mikomikimika

I'm not sure about this, but it might be the type of insulin he's on.

I'm taking lantis, and my injection site is always red, puffy and painful for a couple of hours after I inject, which my doctor says is not supposed to happen. She thinks that the particular type of insulin I'm taking may be too acidic for me, and it's irritating my skin.

It could also be your needles. If they are unsterile, they could cause pain or infection at the site, or if you're not being careful enough when opening them, the tip of the needle could become warped or broken. It sounds like something you'd notice easily, but sometimes I scrape the tip of the needle on the cap when removing it, and when I go to poke myself with it, It hurts tremendously because of a microscopic bend in the tip.

If this has been happening to your son since you started on a particular bottle of insulin or a particular box of new needles, it could be a bad batch.

This is all just my thoughts, and it's nothing compared to the advice of a real doctor, but I hope something I said might help.

mikey97

Hi
Every needle he uses is new and they are 5mm.The sites where he does his injections with humalog 25 and levemir are constant rashes.Where he does his novo rapide on his stomach there is no rash.When he gets tablets and cream from the dr's it does clear it up but the minute he stops taking them it returns.