I waited till my hba1c tests were stable and within 1 mmol/mol of one another, when four were the same at 34 mmol/mol my GP and I discussed stopping taking Metformin,. I dropped one 500 mg tablet after that test in March, I have just had a another blood test which was another stable 34 mmol/mol and have now stopped the other 500 mg Metformin tablet.Over what period have others decreased or stopped their meds?
Tipetoo, you really stuck with it, impressive that you could commit for over two years to finally cease your meds.I waited till my hba1c tests were stable and within 1 mmol/mol of one another, when four were the same at 34 mmol/mol my GP and I discussed stopping taking Metformin,. I dropped one 500 mg tablet after that test in March, I have just had a another blood test which was another stable 34 mmol/mol and have now stopped the other 500 mg Metformin tablet.
This took two and a half years to achieve, see the small graph in my sig.
Yes @Sal87 as I said in another thread it is long road we travel with no short cuts in it.Tipetoo, you really stuck with it, impressive that you could commit for over two years to finally cease your meds.
I agree with the principle, the challenge being that not many of us have physicians who really know the low carb and intermittent fasting approach.I'm with @Goonergal it is best to work with your health care professionals when lowering the dosage or ceasing hypoglycaemic medications. Take it steady.
@Sal87
Well done for improving so much that you don't need insulinThat's certainly an achievement and a feather in your cap.
I'm totally with you regarding wanting to reduce meds that stimulate pancreas to produce more insulin, when one already has too much in the system etc. I take a similiar medication (Glipizide 5mgs) daily. Previously I have been on 15 mgs daily, which I did manage to come off, slowly but only with using the Freestyle Libre so I could monitor my levels closely, and safely.
On Glipizide 10mgs in the mornings, I found I was going hypo by lunchtime/early afternoon so, after a while of this, I decided to reduce the dose gradually, by cutting a tablet in half (they're not coated). So, gradually, I was able to stop these regular hypos at lunchtime, meaning I didn't then need to eat Jelly Babies and biscuits, or have carbs for lunch etc. I couldn't see the logic in taking meds which caused me to eat non-nourishing foods etc
After a while, I wasn't needing to take anything but still keeping blood glucose levels in good control. Needless to say, the Diabetes nurse, at the surgery, who then told the GP, were not amused and I can only think they thought I had done this at considerable risk and without being in control. I might add, for what it's worth, I am a retired nurse, so like to think I knew what I was doingI am now back on Glip 5mgs but I split the tablet and take 1/2 in the morning and the other 1/2 before my evening meal. I no longer have hypos on this regime and generally keep my BG levels within 'normal' parameters - by low carbing etc.
I wouldn't recommend doing this without a very good system to monitor your levels during the day and night. Neither would I recommend taking this approach unless you really understood what you were doing etc. It certainly would be best if you had the support and guidance of the HCPs but, as in my situation, I don't feel they are prepared to tread anything but a 'convential' road regarding this, and other, issues so I decided to take it into my own hands a bit.
I wish you well
This is great information, @Daibell - thank you. I hadn't realised it was this length of time in the system.For info, Gliclazide like insulin works within hours and I've read that any effect will have worn-off after around 10 hours.
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Do you accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Do you accept cookies and these technologies?