Ratio of protein and fat for weight loss

abb0

Hi all
First post so please be gentle.

I have type2 ,and by the help of this forum I am managing to keep bg low just by diet at the moment. Eg today 5.4 first thing and going to max of 7 2 hours after eating. I have done this by doing very low carbs, ie below 30 , often 20.

I am nicely loosing weight, need to, but next week we are off on holiday, and I am still confused over the relationship and balance of fat to protein, I don't actually know what my best balance is and I did read a post here,somewhere last week about the relationship but I can't find the post now.

I do appreciate that everyone is different in their tolerances but if anyone has some advise or suggestions for further non tec reading it would be appreciated .

Fraddycat

Hi Abb0, I understand that too much protein can slow down your weight loss and so you should try to eat one gram of protein for each kilo of target weight you are aiming for. For example if you want to be 75 kilos then you should eat no more than 75g of protein a day. I have to say I find that really hard and in reality eat more like 95 to 100 grams a day and am still losing weight.

I have found that my weight loss got back on track when I followed Defren's advice to eat only every 4 hours and drink loads of water.

PhilT

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
There aren't any magic ratios, in the end you have to consume less energy than you use and maintain reduced blood insulin levels to allow fat release from storage.

Your 20g of carbs is only 80 calories a day. Protein at 1g per day per lb of lean body mass is probably no more than 120g per day in your case, and if you're short then half of that may be sufficient. In general higher protein diets give better weight loss results.

So if you aimed for mid-range of 90g protein per day that's about a pound of meat or fish per day. If you don't go for the the lean skinny options you'll get plenty of fats and oils along with it to make up your daily energy needs. 90g of protein is 360 calories so with your carbs we're still only at 540 calories a day and looking for at least the same again from fats and oils - another 540 calories or 60g of fats/oils.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are various ratios given by various authors. Dr Donald Layman says 30g per meal or 90g per day.

I've also read that there is a natural satiety mechanism with protein and that most people can't comfortably consume more than 35% of their total daily intake as protein.

abb0

Thanks all, I am female and think that I should weigh 52 kilos so I will aim for 50 grms of protien and then associated fats. It took a while to stop panicking about fat but I do find it hard to find things each meal that have fat, I eat cheese and eggs and all the fat on the meat . Does any one have a good idea of the protein - fat ratio of a slice of English bacon ? I live in France and most websites that I have found for GI lists are American and don't list bacon. I have ordered a pocket book from amerzon but don't think it will arive before we leave.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bacon, Back, Dry Fried or Grilled

Calories in 100g of back bacon:

Calories 303.8kcal
Carbohydrate 0.1g
Protein 26.5g
Fat 21.9g
Fibre 0.0g
source http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/ca ... n_meat.htm

The thin stuff they call bacon in France though isn't the same at all.
There are lots of French calorie counting sites.
Just google something like lardons, lipides, glucides
This site might be useful to you as it has a list of Meat since the cuts are different in France so will the proportions.
http://www.bioweight.com/glucides.html

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont have a preference, I usually eat more protein to fat, and I maintain, if I want to loose a little more weight I lower my fat a little. :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I would disagree with Phil's post on the matter of counting Calories. On a low carb/ high fat diet, the actual number of calories consumed isn't relevant. We don't function like internal combustion engines and the "calories in ~calories out" thing doesn't work for us as it does for engines. Ultimately the laws of thermodynamics do apply to us, but with enzyme moderated processes, it becomes very complex. If you are interested in this subject, read Gary Tabes's "Good Calories, Bad Calories" I eat very low carb, but quite a lot of calories.
After 3 years, my weight loss has slowed, but I'm still losing slowly. If I up my carbs for any reason, my weightloss stops. Upping Calories in the form of cream or butter has no effect.
Hana