Ratios and rises

ReaL

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi wonder if I could pick your brains on a couple of issues I have. I’m relatively new to insulin and am currently on Levemir and Novarapid. Firstly my bolus ratios in the morning are about 1:8 but for dinner about 1:15. Is this ‘normal’ to have such a variance. Secondly even with 1:15 in the evening I quite often go low about an hour to 2 hours after eating. If I’m taking more than 4 u Novarapid I split bolus about an hour apart. I try not to overcorrect when I go low but find that even with taking 1 dextrose (3 carbs) I rebound to 8 and 9 when I am going to bed about 10pm four hours after eating. I thought it was caused by the cup of tea I usually have before bed but even without that or the dextrose tab I still go high about 4 to five hours after eating which continues till about 1 am and then come down during the night sometimes close to hypo. I take my Levemir split 50:50 8 u 7 pm and 8u 7am. Is it possible my evening meal is taking a long time to digest? I know some foods like pizza can but I find this happens with any meal. Sorry for long post - hope it makes sense.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Is this ‘normal’ to have such a variance
Yes, very much normal!
Is it possible my evening meal is taking a long time to digest?
Yes, possible. But possible doesn't mean it cannot have other causes.
even with taking 1 dextrose (3 carbs) I rebound to 8 and 9 when I am going to bed about 10pm four hours after eating.
For me, the dextrose doesn't do anything 4 hours after taking them, so I'd expect it to be either my basal or my evening meal. Again, don't mistake my thoughts for the truth, they're only thoughts!

Overall, what you write sounds like you are having a very close eye on what's happening, and why, and you're likely to work things out as best as possible with your own curiosity :)