RBC from HCT%

zeee

Hi, I have the: Glucorx Hct Blood Glucose & Ketone Meter I just like to know my hematocrit HCT is reading 44%, does this mean that my RBC Count is 4.4 mil / uL

Also the HCT Level change dependant on the time of day, in your opinion what would be the best time to check this …

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Hi, I have the: Glucorx Hct Blood Glucose & Ketone Meter I just like to know my hematocrit HCT is reading 44%, does this mean that my RBC Count is 4.4 mil / uL

Also the HCT Level change dependant on the time of day, in your opinion what would be the best time to check this …
Hi @zeee, I also have this meter which I bought to measure ketone levels (I prefer OneTouch for blood glucose measurement, but that uses similar reagents to the GlucoRX HCT). For both meters the hematocrit value is inferred to correct BG levels for abnormal levels that can also distort HbAC1 results. A 44% HCT = 44 ml packed RBC volume /100ml blood. HCT is quite sensitive to hydration levels, so perhaps check on rising before coffee, tea, breakfast, etc. But a HCT of 44% is definitely normal for both male and female, so shouldn't distort your BG levels at all - the meter should be relatively accurate and you can rely on the BG results to plan your diabetes approach. Is there a specific reason that you are worried about your HCT?