Re my recent blood test

Mrkmtchll2512

I'm just asking a question re diabetes etc, I've just received my blood results back and it was 49/50 mmol and doctor said need another test done in 2 weeks so booked for 12th February, I was always borderline previously was put on second nature program lost stone and half, but then this reading. Diabetes is a family thing, my mum has it tablets and insulin, my aunt has it tablets and insulin, my uncle had it, my cousin has it, and my great grandmother and grandmother died because of it. Not sure what will be the test results after 12th February any advice, do I have diabetes ? It's a mind field, I have enough to worry about with my sleep apnoea

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning @Mrkmtchll2512 and welcome to the forum.

The short answer to your question is yes, you're diabetic, The HbA1c test is a cell count, not 100% accurate, but very close.

An HbA1c result under 43 mmol/mol is considered normal, 43 to 48 is classed as pre-diabetic, while a reading over 48 is diabetic.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
An HbA1c result under 43 mmol/mol is considered normal, 43 to 48 is classed as pre-diabetic, while a reading over 48 is diabetic.
Yes, but the test isn't 100% accurate which is presumably why the doctor is getting a second test for a borderline reading.

There are also a few blood conditions (eg anaemia) which can make an hba1c over or under read (though this is rare)

Also, forum rules mean we can't diagnose (we aren't doctors and we don't have access to someone's medical notes).

I'm just asking a question re diabetes etc, I've just received my blood results back and it was 49/50 mmol and doctor said need another test done in 2 weeks so booked for 12th February, I was always borderline previously was put on second nature program lost stone and half, but then this reading. Diabetes is a family thing, my mum has it tablets and insulin, my aunt has it tablets and insulin, my uncle had it, my cousin has it, and my great grandmother and grandmother died because of it. Not sure what will be the test results after 12th February any advice, do I have diabetes ? It's a mind field, I have enough to worry about with my sleep apnoea

Sleep apnea deprives the body of oxygen, which has a direct negative effect on glucose levels and insulin resistance. Its effect can be dramatic, promoting insulin resistance and changing glucose metabolism

Maybe tackling your sleep apnoea will help control your blood sugar???

Good luck.

Mrkmtchll2512

Thanks for your replies, I know are not qualified to diagnose was just a generic question to get a feel of it basically, regarding my sleep apnoea I've been on a CPAP machine since 2019/20 used to stop breathing up to 150 times per hour, with my machine maybe 6 or 7 times per hour so it's working. I will await my second blood test results after 12th February and wait to see where it goes from there, thanks again for answering

mouseee

One side of my family had T2 diabetics galore so I knew it was coning for me and was unsurprised. I was, however, surprised by my hba1c at diagnosis. It was enormous. If they diagnose you now, you haven't got too much work to do to get bg down.

Reactions: Michellenz

Michellenz

One side of my family had T2 diabetics galore so I knew it was coning for me and was unsurprised. I was, however, surprised by my hba1c at diagnosis. It was enormous. If they diagnose you now, you haven't got too much work to do to get bg down.

And low carb will help - lots here about it!

Btw, in nz diagnosis is not until 51. Our ranges are up to 40 normal, 41-50 prediabetic, 51 or over diabetic

• Informative
Reactions: Outlier