Re-usable pens??

G8CAU

Hi Folks,
Diagnosed as Type2 over 10yrs ago . .
Treatment started by diet only then Metformin and Gliclazide.

Recently taken off Metformin as seem to be affecting kidney function.
Suggested I started using Insulin and remain on Gliclazide.

Now, my question(s) !!

Ok, I know the Insulin will be on a free prescription . . . . .

1) Do I have to pay for the Pen device (re-usable type)?
2) Do I have to pay for needles for above?

All my present meds are on repeat prescription, including the lancets/test discs for my monitor.

I’m over 60 so most stuff is free prescription anyway, but really confused about the pen issue . . .

Many Thanks

John aka G8CAU.

LaughingHyena

I was given my first pen by the DSN when I started on insulin, I also have them on repeat prescritption so I can get a spare if needed. Needles are also on my repeat prescription.

Mervyn

Hi,
I receive all my Insulin,pen tips and injecting devices free on prescription. I am using "cartridge" pens for two reasons. One is that there is less disposable plastic and therefore eco friendly. The second reason is that in my area you can only get 1 litre sharps bins on prescription and the disposable pens soon fill the bin!! Especially when I am using a pen or now 1 cartridge every 3 days.

Good luck with the Insulin, I know it is a bit daunting at first but you will be fine.

Mervyn

G8CAU

To:-

LaughingHyena & Mervyn

Many thanks for your quick replies!

it was just something my DSN said yesterday, when I mentioned the economics of using disposable or re-usable pens, she said there was little differeance between the costs . . . . that set me thinking!!! - should have asked her there and then about cost to me!

But as normal, I forgot, sign of old age . . . . . . . :roll:

Cheers

John - G8CAU

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
All diabetics on meds get their prescriptions free regardless of what it is for.

Ali

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Mervyn said:
Hi,
I receive all my Insulin,pen tips and injecting devices free on prescription. I am using "cartridge" pens for two reasons. One is that there is less disposable plastic and therefore eco friendly. The second reason is that in my area you can only get 1 litre sharps bins on prescription and the disposable pens soon fill the bin!! Especially when I am using a pen or now 1 cartridge every 3 days.

Good luck with the Insulin, I know it is a bit daunting at first but you will be fine.

Mervyn

Apologies to the OP for diverting slightly.

Mervyn, I wasn't aware disposable pens need to go in the sharps box? With my daughters all we had to do was to remove the needle and put that in the sharps, the pen wasn't any danger so could go in the normal rubbish.

Mervyn

ladybird64 said:
Mervyn, I wasn't aware disposable pens need to go in the sharps box? With my daughters all we had to do was to remove the needle and put that in the sharps, the pen wasn't any danger so could go in the normal rubbish.

hi ladybird64,
I was told they had to go in the bin because of the residue of medication in the pens. Don't know whether that is just hot air, but that is what I was told. I also now dispose of my "used" cartridges in the box as well :?

G8CAU

Mervyn said:
ladybird64 said:

hi ladybird64,
I was told they had to go in the bin because of the residue of medication in the pens. Don't know whether that is just hot air, but that is what I was told. I also now dispose of my "used" cartridges in the box as well :?
====================================================================================

I wondered about disposable pens to.
We recycle plastic here, so they should go in the plastics bag . . . . . mmmm don’t think so!
What about the glass cartridge? – Seeing my DSN 14/6, so will ask then, this will be the visit that decides the number of units I need . . . . Just on the Gliclazide (2x 80mg twice a day) at this time.

Last HbA1c in “New Money” = 65 (17/4/2012)

Latest Average from my Monitor:

DCCT = 9.1 over 14 days
IFCC = 76 over 14 days
On last visit to DSN she suggested it will be a dose of 10 units. . . . .

Regards All

John aka G8CAU

joycegill

It will not cost you anything for your medications including needles and sharps bin. Make sure you get enough test strips to last you each month as you will probably be testing more often.

I dispose of my pens in the sharps bin but they don't fill the bin. I reckon to get about 3 pens in a bin (about 1-2 months) of normal usage.

When I first went on insulin I asked my council about disposal of both needles and pens and was told to use empty GLASS jars, such as coffee ones, with a lid. Once I had filled it to seal it with plenty of tape and put in the general rubbish bin. I now get a sharps bin on my prescription.

PS I also put my test strips in the sharps bin.

LaughingHyena

FWIW my sharps bin is also on prescription. I then ring the council to come and collect them. I usually wait till I have a few, seems silly to get them to come round for just one.

I know the sytem varies from area to area, some places you take the full box to the doctors or pharmacy and they exchange it for a new one. Jsut something else you may want to check when you next see your DSN