Re-using lancets

Berbatov

Dislikes
To date GP's with uncaring attitudes, whom think they are diabetic consultants.
I use a new lancet every time, although when I have messes up a test and wasted a strip because I didnt get enough blood or what not, tnen the same lancet is used again.

I have also realised the one touch ultra lancets work with the glucomen lx lancing device, which is useful as old GP scribed them me, then change machines and new GP refuses to scribe strips or lancets to t2's so here's another ebayer, hoping to source strips at half rrp.

:)

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
just to let you all know Acensia Contour and One Touch Ultra BS testing monitors use the same lancets. A mix up on prescriptions almost 3yrs ago(receptionist couldn't read!) has left Andrew with 300 lancets (3 boxes of 100) originally it was 600. So Haven't re- ordred any in that time, do you think the dumb receptionist will have noticed :roll:
Suzi x

caitycakes

I'm type 1 and test 10 times per day. I only change mine when I remember. Changed the last one about three weeks ago :oops: Now putting a fresh one in my stabber. I hate when it's a brand new one because the trigger seems to go to pot for the first few uses. Sometimes hurts like hell.

Caitycakes x

Trinkwasser

In the newsgroup alt.support.diabetes someone helpfully used to post each St Swithun's Day that it was time to change our lancets. This year they forgot so I have to use the **** thing for *another* year.

Seriously, I change mine a few times a year, when I start to notice it - and ALWAYS if I test anyone else, both before and after. Never had any problems except once when I stabbed myself badly during the changeover.

PregnantKate

I test 5-6 times a day and change my lancet after every test.

Although now I am running low on lancets and cant get to the docs to get more so Ive only been changing it twice a day :lol:

MaryChristine

I must make it clear that I am not an expert but this is my view.............

Skin is not sterile even after washing with soap and warm water. When the lancet is uncapped and used it will pick up micro-organisms (potentially harmful) from the air and skin. After use the lancet tip is contaminated with blood, tissue fluid and skin cells. While the lancet remains moist, conditions are suitable for micro-organisms to multiply. If the lancet is used again these micro-organisms may still be viable, may be injected into the skin and may set up an infection, which could result in elevated blood glucose levels, pain, scarring of finger tips........

The risk is small but not one I am willing to take. I use a new lancet each time. I pay for them myself but think it is worth it.

MaryChristine

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Marychristie,
Gosh youv'e got me thinking now, and i will be asking my son to read your post and maybe it will give him the swipt kick up the proverbial :wink: to get him to change his lancets. As he's only 10 i'd say it's a case of lazyness more than anything, but i'm sure it'l get him thinking, though if i know him, he'l think it's cool to have mirco organisms growing on his fingertips :roll:
Suzi x

MaryChristine

Yes he probably would! :lol:

When my brother was 10 we used to have to wash the soap after (the rare occasions) he'd used it. :roll:

But it's the bugs getting inside his fingers and making their way through his bloodstream that he needs to think about.

As I said I don't see it as a big risk, just an unnecessary one.

MaryChristine

sofaraway

I change mine every few weeks, i really don't have an issue with potential infection risks, the risk is very small in my opinion.
a saying on another forum I am on is change the clocks change the lancet.
needles I'm better with but not every time.

bunty

Heck, i change my lancet at least three times a year, whether it's blunt or not!

Every now and then when i find the thing isnt getting my fingers to cough up enough blood, i actually think to swop out the old lancet for a shiny new sharp one. I keep my stabber set to 'stun' (level 1) as a way to make sure i dont persevere with a really blunt lancet.

But i dont test every day, usually. Lately i have been trying to keep tabs on my levels more regularly because my meds were reduced and i need to see how that's impacting on my BG.

Now, wracked with guilt and shame, i hurried to my testing kit to do the right thing and change lancets, only to discover i have none with me. That means a search is scheduled for tonight when i get home - they came into the house so they must be there somewhere!

I was wondering if i could trade-in a few boxes of unused lancets for a new box o' test strips - d'you tihnk that'd work?

bunty