Readings...

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Just wanted to ask. I'm still getting to grips with my meter readings as I'm a newbie. Is 7.3 2 hours after food ok I'm type 2 .. what would it be if it was to high. I went onto the diabetes blood sugar checker and put that number in and it said normal but underneath it said it's classed as hypoglycemia with type 2

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
7.3 is not even in the same room as hypoglycemia which is being under 4. Two hours after eating you should be at or below your pre-meal reading. Your spike will happen around 1 hr but that is just approximate. If you were in the low 7's before your meal then that is a good number for you at 2 hours. Are you doing low carb or another diet? Remember it will take time for your numbers to come down overall and the less carbs you eat the faster it will happen.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmm, I think the blood sugar checker is wrong - it does say that 7.3 within two hours of eating for a female type 2 is classed as hypoglycaemia. This is wrong. 7.3 is not classed as hypo, for anyone, under 4 is hypo.

Reactions: 2 people

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
7.3 is not even in the same room as hypoglycemia which is being under 4. Two hours after eating you should be at or below your pre-meal reading. Your spike will happen around 1 hr but that is just approximate. If you were in the low 7's before your meal then that is a good number for you at 2 hours. Are you doing low carb or another diet? Remember it will take time for your numbers to come down overall and the less carbs you eat the faster it will happen.
I was 6.5 before my meal... I thought it was strange for the checker to say that and it's on the diabetes UK website

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm, I think the blood sugar checker is wrong - it does say that 7.3 within two hours of eating for a female type 2 is classed as hypoglycaemia. This is wrong. 7.3 is not classed as hypo, for anyone, under 4 is hypo.
I did think that it maybe wrong but just thought I'd ask thankyou

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Could I ask what you ate for that particular meal?

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
7.3 is perfectly fine after a meal. It is definitely not a hypo (<4)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't be sure where you put the number in, so can't double check it, but is it at all possible you could have put 3.7 (reversing the numbers) in by mistake?

The only reason I ask is I've never known anyone do that sort of thing. :angelic:

OK, that last sentence is a lie! :bag:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your rise at 2 hours was only 0.8mmol/l which in my opinion is excellent. Anything under 1mmol/l is excellent. Anything under 1.5mmol/l is OK. If above that, then another test half an hour later would be useful. The actual rise is more important than the level when testing out foods.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't be sure where you put the number in, so can't double check it, but is it at all possible you could have put 3.7 (reversing the numbers) in by mistake?

The only reason I ask is I've never known anyone do that sort of thing. :angelic:

OK, that last sentence is a lie! :bag:

I've just checked
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-sugar-checker.html

And putting in 7.3 female after a meal
Your blood sugar is normal.
A reading of 7.3mmol/L after a meal is classed as hypoglycemia for someone with Type 2 diabetes (based on NICE recommendations).

I feel this needs to be corrected as 7.3 is NOT hypoglycemia. I does say normal but this would have concerned me when first diagnosed.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just been reading the N.I.C.E. guidelines and they don't seem to have advice for home testing for T2's. They say don't do it unless advised by your doctor or nurse. They only advise about Hba1c. I put a figure of 7.1 into the blood glucose checker and it said I was hyperglycemic according to N.I.C.E. so they might be expecting Hba1c numbers.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just checked

A reading of 7.3mmol/L after a meal is classed as hypoglycemia for someone with Type 2 diabetes (based on NICE recommendations).

I feel this needs to be corrected as 7.3 is NOT hypoglycemia. I does say normal but this would have concerned me when first diagnosed.

Thank you.

I've just gone to the link you gave, put in the same criteria. One the graphic below the picture, it indicates normal, but the wording does say hypoglycemia, Therefore I'll tag both @Administrator and @Giverny . As you both say, that seems to need a little tweak.

upload_2016-8-22_16-3-31.png
upload_2016-8-22_16-3-31.png

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
I've just checked

Thanks for flagging that up, we're fixing it now! :)

Reactions: 4 people