Real ale

darenu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Oh what joy! yesterday my BG 2 hours after breakfast was 5.7. Then, 1.5 hours after lunchtime Xmas drinks (3 pints of cask ale), BG dropped to 5.0.....

Would love to think real ale could be a valuable addition to this diet!

Happy Christmas, Daren.

Reactions: covknit

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Oh what joy! yesterday my BG 2 hours after breakfast was 5.7. Then, 1.5 hours after lunchtime Xmas drinks (3 pints of cask ale), BG dropped to 5.0.....

Happy Christmas, Daren.

Alcohol often lowers blood glucose levels. Whilst your liver is busy dealing with the alcohol it's not releasing glucose so you might see a drop.

Did you check your blood glucose any later? Beer can have a few carbs in it and it may raise your blood glucose levels after the body has broken down the alcohol.

darenu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Interestingly, before finding this site, I have had hypos a few hours after a couple of pints after playing golf, where I wouldn’t have eaten for 6/7 hours.

I’ll test my BG after a few more hours to see what’s happening next time I get chance to indulge in some real ale!!

Carnotaurus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Ducati Dave

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Happy Christmas, Daren.

How are things going on the "real ale diet"? I have just been diagnosed Type 2 and would love it if I didn't have to give up my favourite drink. Shorts just don't cut the mustard with me.

darenu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How are things going on the "real ale diet"? I have just been diagnosed Type 2 and would love it if I didn't have to give up my favourite drink. Shorts just don't cut the mustard with me.

Hi Dave, I did check my BG yesterday after 4 pints of Butty Bach on an annual brother snooker match.

Pre drinks 6.1 which was due to some berries in a smoothie. Then after drinks BG was 5.4 (usual fasting level). Then checked 2 hrs later 5.6 and 2 hours after that 5.9. Then this morning 5.8.

Be careful with bottled ales as I have had a spikes above 9, which I believe is due to added sugar to help with the head when poured.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Ducati Dave

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Dave, I did check my BG yesterday after 4 pints of Butty Bach on an annual brother snooker match.

Pre drinks 6.1 which was due to some berries in a smoothie. Then after drinks BG was 5.4 (usual fasting level). Then checked 2 hrs later 5.6 and 2 hours after that 5.9. Then this morning 5.8.

Be careful with bottled ales as I have had a spikes above 9, which I believe is due to added sugar to help with the head when poured.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. I've never tried Butty Bach - unless it's a pet name for a Butcombe brew. Do you checke the carb content of ales? Does it really make any difference, do you think? As you can see I'm new to all this as I was diagnosed just before Christmas. One of god's little tricks...

I don't touch anything sweet so it must be the ale/bread/crisps etc.

darenu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It’s from Wye Valley and popular here in the Midlands. Beer manufacturers don’t have to put nutritional info on labels, but some do on their websites.

I think it’s just a question of testing BG levels before and after, as it does seem that some Ales don’t spike me.

Knowing this now, I will try walking to and from a Witherspoon’s tomorrow lunchtime to get a bit of exercise too

Reactions: Ducati Dave

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As someone who has spent the last 50 years having "real ale" most days I was immediately drawn to this thread. I now manage to stick to one 500ml can per evening on weekdays and drink wine at the weekend. I think the type of beer I drink, Greene King Abbot Ale, Wadworth's 6X, Morland's Old Speckled Hen, Fullers London Pride etc. has about 15g of carbs in 500ml but I haven't been able to find any definitive information. I am not interested in the likes of Coors Lite, I would rather drink low carb lemonade. If there are any "real ales" that have a bit less carbs than others I would be very interested to know.

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Interestingly, before finding this site, I have had hypos a few hours after a couple of pints after playing golf, where I wouldn’t have eaten for 6/7 hours.

I’ll test my BG after a few more hours to see what’s happening next time I get chance to indulge in some real ale!!
Oh wow, I was about to cancel my CAMRA membership. Maybe I should hold off?

Ducati Dave

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s from Wye Valley and popular here in the Midlands. Beer manufacturers don’t have to put nutritional info on labels, but some do on their websites.

I think it’s just a question of testing BG levels before and after, as it does seem that some Ales don’t spike me.

Knowing this now, I will try walking to and from a Witherspoon’s tomorrow lunchtime to get a bit of exercise too
I have about 30 great real ale pubs within a mile and a half of my house in Richmond, which means a decent walk every day. I’m trying to cut down to two pints a day but that stuff is so **** moreish !

Sadly my favourite - Fuller’s London Pride - is one of the higher carb brews at 26g per pint.

Ducati Dave

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As someone who has spent the last 50 years having "real ale" most days I was immediately drawn to this thread. I now manage to stick to one 500ml can per evening on weekdays and drink wine at the weekend. I think the type of beer I drink, Greene King Abbot Ale, Wadworth's 6X, Morland's Old Speckled Hen, Fullers London Pride etc. has about 15g of carbs in 500ml but I haven't been able to find any definitive information. I am not interested in the likes of Coors Lite, I would rather drink low carb lemonade. If there are any "real ales" that have a bit less carbs than others I would be very interested to know.
London Pride has 26 grams of carbs according to Fuller’s website.

Mark_1

If you haven’t already then try resolution.

https://www.classicales.co.uk/Products/Marstons_Resolution/66

Reactions: darenu