Really bad cold

rebecca owen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys

I’ve got a really bad cold and I’m struggling to know what cold and flu relief tablets I can take, any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Paracetamol, sugar free Strepsils, sugar free cough syrups. Lots of rest and extra insulin if needed.

Reactions: kitedoc
D

Deleted Account

When I was first diagnosed, I spotted some cold medicines said not to take if you have diabetes. This concerned me because I had been taking it for a couple of days so I checked with my dn. She said there was no problem and it was the manufacturer being over cautious.
In short, I treat a cold with diabetes exactly the same as a cold without diabetes. The only difference is testing and injecting if there are any carbs in the medicine.
I find a cold raises my bg and a high bg enhances my cold symptoms so need to take more insulin. If you find the same, you could try increasing your basal slightly.

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Assuming there are no other health issues any medication without sugar is OK and there are very few now with sugar. My diabetes gets really jealous when I get sick, my Diabetes even tells me ahead of time I'm getting sick. BGL starts to go up for no reason. Sure enough a day or 2 latter a cold etc has set in. Diabetes then really demands attention, there is no way it's going to tolerate a jumped up cold getting my undivided attention and just when you think you have it worked out it will dump a nasty hypo, or hyper depending on what you are least expecting. What a shame as I was becoming really good friends with that cold, it was much more understanding and compassionate compared to that jealous narcissistic D.

johnbear2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
conservative polititicians
Cavonia sugar free usually works for me