really bad rage

Lovelylivpet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,
I think this is highly unlikely ( 20% of 100%) , but your son may have an overactive thyroid. It is often seen in T1 diabetics ( including myself). If he is just hitting hormones it will be hard to tell, but its very unlikely anyway. Here are some sytoms :

. Constant rage
. very high in energy ( nearly all the time)
. gets emotional or angerd about small things.
.Is very sensitie and goes through sages of anger and crying
. Sometimes can rage bllod sugar

Hope I haven't worried you

Tigris

I suggest you get your child into swimming. The aggression can be used up in the pool. My nephew 15 (not diabetic) has been attending a swimming club for 2 years and since then I've never seen him argue with his Mother or disrespect her. He is more thoughtful and caring, too. He has also joined a group where he plays the drums so again his energy is used elsewhere.

Do you and the other lady live close to each other? If you do maybe you can meet up so your children can join in the same activity? A bonding between them would also make them aware that they are not the only child that has the problem. They're probably going through a stage of "Why me?" The reason I know that is because I had a different illness when I was 10 and I couldn't play with friends or my younger sisters because the physical results caused my eyes to swell. I had to ask one of my sister's to lead me back to our caravan and when she got inside she told our Grandparents I was blind. She was only 5 years old and didn't realise that if I put a cold wet flannel on my face and rested for an hour I'd be able to see again.

I had problems at school too because my body looked like I had measles and nettle rash. The children used to call me "Monster" but I used to ignore them because I knew eventually it would go away again. At secondary school I was regularly in the Nurse's room getting covered in calamine lotion. She never wanted to put it on my face, however, I always told her to because I'd rather look stupid than itch all the time.

Does your child inject himself in front of the other children? Maybe it's time for the school to make all the children diabetes aware? Don't forget from being small we always keep children away from sharp items, e.g. scissors, etc., so they'll think your child is doing something wrong and possibly don't want to play with him.

I also thought of things like martial arts, etc., but that would make them worse because they'd both know how to hurt people more.

Is there a childrens support group where they can go and play together? I think the more children like him the better he'll feel. Unfortunately, my problem was very rare.

I hope this insight has helped you.

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Soostark,
I really hope things have improved since you originally posted. I understand that your son is already going to see a psycologist, has he tried cognetive behavioural therapy? This helped me out no end with my behaviour when I was younger. It lets you process all your thoughts in a sensible way so that rages, depression and anxiety don't build up. Another thing that might help is a reward chart for good behaviour it might be a good idea to do that for all your children so no ones left out. Include testing his bg and injections on that and at the end of a week they can get a reward. Another thing is when he has to do BG readings and take injections could you or your husband do it as well even your other children (obviously without taking any insulin but still getting a prick). If everyone in your house has to do it and they can do it without a fuss then it's not such a big deal to him but slots into a daily routine like making the bed. That might help him feel less isolated and frustrated. Lastly his blood sugar will have a huge impact on his moods high as well as low, so the tighter he is controlled the better his mood will be.
I really hope you reconsider the insulin pump it has literally saved my life I love it and wish I had of been put straight on it from diagnosis. In countries like the USA, Irsrael, Slovenia etc if you have decent medical insurance injections aren't even suggested you'd just be put straight on the pump you really do get that much better control and freedom of lifestyle compared to being on injections. I find that the people who struggle with the pump it's usually down to user error and stubborness to change the way they want to do things. Everybody says that being on a pump is harder work than injections I've been on mine for 7 years on May4th and I find it a complete walk in the park compared to when I was on injections and I couldn't have done any of the thing I've accomplished in my life without it. I'm sounding like a sales person now! But don't discount it because it seems scarry, definitely worth a try if you're offered one you can always change your mind if you don't like it and it can be given to someone else.
Hopefully things will improve for you soon.

moonfruit

Hello Soostark,
I was diagnosed in may last year and I also experienced very erratic mood swings and an explosive rage, at times something extremely trivial would send me crashing. I was so concerned about this change in my behaviour that I visited my GP describing it as you say as an almost blind rage. ( I am usually a very calm and level headed person) all my GP suggested was that it must be delayed shock over my diagnosis! at the time however I was feeling exteremely ill bacause of adjusting to my meds, the diabetes itself and yes I was bloody angry that I had this horrible illness for the rest of my life. I also felt guilty if I mentioned how I fel to anyone, because this was my problem...I didn't want to worry anyone!
Please bare in mind that your son will probably be a turmoil of different emotions right now (not to mention the complexities of teenage life) another thing that I would suggest is to research his meds. I know that I was told some of my medications 'don't cause that' and yet after researching them I find that they could be the cause of whatever problem I was experiencing.
and don't forget the wonderful people here on diabetes.co.uk this site was my true life saver when I was first diagnosed!
once I began to tolerate my medication and gain control of my diabetes I began to feel a lot stronger and a lot more positive.

a good motto that I read once was: I control my diabetes...it does not control me.

I hope things improve for both of you soon
take care xx

Barrie Smith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
NHS and Prof Tony Weetman .
This happened to me in 1980 when after 20yrs of trouble free diabetes was changed to G/M insulin , it changed my personality ,
I only recovered when I changed back to Animal insulin in 1987 . Novo will not admit any of this , but a whistle blower reported that 25% of subjects in clinical trials suffered adverse reactions to "Human Insulin " it has left me with irreperable damage to 5
Glands 32 yrs ill health . So do something ASAP please , Novo are running a Cartel to protect their profits , you will have to ask for a trial on animal insulin .

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
hi there
my son merlin was diagnosed 4months ago,
he seems to be suffering from this uncontrollable rage since his diagnosis
sophie
I was like that too in my early years 7 - 13 yrs of age - my parents got me in to competitive sports football/hockey. It seemed to do the trick. Like previous posters I don;t know if it was because all the exercise was keeping my BGs in a better place thus making me feel better or I was taking out my anger and hostilities on the field or ice.

My teen years I was in a Punk band and later a Classic Rock band - like sports that seemed to keep me out of trouble.

You might be a bit weary of putting your kid in team sports with his rage issues but this may enable him to work them out - get exposed to social environments and allow him to be a little bit more physical and aggressive where the behaviour is a little bit more acceptable.

Anyway - I turned out okay - have a couple of kids - in the same relationship for 34 years, have a great career and very seldom get angry - unless I'm watching the news. Hopefully Merlin will adjust .....

bobcurly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes same problem here with a 10y old. Even if bloods are slightly high she can fly off the handle. Dont rule out the pump - whilst it hasnt stopped some highs it does make her hugely less conscious of dialing up in front of friends and in restaurants which makes her feel more normal. Have you got a libre for him? Its impossible to get my daughter to test when raging but i look back later when she.s calm on the graph and see if there was a spike/drop at that point.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Umm... This thread is over 4 years old & the OP was last seen on the forum 4 years and 10 weeks ago. Just saying...