Reapplying after laser treatment for cataracts

kaya1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello!

I think I've made a stupid mistake on my driving licence renewal and I wanted to run it by all you nice people!

Back in 2012 at the age of 20 I was diagnosed with t1, and I'd gone about 8 months without diagnosis apparently (I know... I was NOT in a good way!). Obviously this took its toll on my body, and after starting on insulin my eyes couldn't handle the rapid change in my glucose level, and I developed severe cataracts in both eyes.

I had both surgically removed in 2013, and all was well, but then my vision started clouding a bit and they 'tidied up' the remaining clouding with about 5 mins of laser treatment.

I passed my driving test in 2016, and got a three-year licence. That expired a while ago, but I didn't have good hypo awareness until recently, so I've only just reapplied for my new licence.

However, on the form there's a question asking if you've had laser treatment for 'diabetic eye disease', and I interpreted this to mean retinopathy, so I ticked no... but I've since realised that my cataract cleanup might actually count too.

So, two questions:

1. Does the post-cataract laser treatment count as laser treatment for diabetic eye disease?
2. If it does count, should I have declared it given I had that laser treatment a few years before passing my test and getting my full licence?

Normally I'd just call DVLA to check this, but in the current circumstances they're only accepting calls from key workers about urgent licence applications.

I know I'm an idiot and should've thought about this before, but the application is already in now so I just want to know if I should expect a rejection in the coming weeks or not.

Thank you!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!

I think I've made a stupid mistake on my driving licence renewal and I wanted to run it by all you nice people!

Back in 2012 at the age of 20 I was diagnosed with t1, and I'd gone about 8 months without diagnosis apparently (I know... I was NOT in a good way!). Obviously this took its toll on my body, and after starting on insulin my eyes couldn't handle the rapid change in my glucose level, and I developed severe cataracts in both eyes.

I had both surgically removed in 2013, and all was well, but then my vision started clouding a bit and they 'tidied up' the remaining clouding with about 5 mins of laser treatment.

I passed my driving test in 2016, and got a three-year licence. That expired a while ago, but I didn't have good hypo awareness until recently, so I've only just reapplied for my new licence.

However, on the form there's a question asking if you've had laser treatment for 'diabetic eye disease', and I interpreted this to mean retinopathy, so I ticked no... but I've since realised that my cataract cleanup might actually count too.

So, two questions:

1. Does the post-cataract laser treatment count as laser treatment for diabetic eye disease?
2. If it does count, should I have declared it given I had that laser treatment a few years before passing my test and getting my full licence?

Normally I'd just call DVLA to check this, but in the current circumstances they're only accepting calls from key workers about urgent licence applications.

I know I'm an idiot and should've thought about this before, but the application is already in now so I just want to know if I should expect a rejection in the coming weeks or not.

Thank you!

Hi,

I appreciate the apparent minefield of filling out these fitness to drive forms.
Looking at the DIAB1 form. (PDF online.) it seems it only excludes laser for long & short sightedness?
https://assets.publishing.service.g...ta/file/778827/diab-medical-questionnaire.pdf

These forms seem to change. A previous incantion asked if injections in both eyes? I said no. As I had aIt-VEGF treatment in the one.
I actually renewed my licence earlier this year & they changed it by this time to the one in the link?
By this time I'd had the second eye successfully treated too?

They sent me a letter back suggesting I go for a "vision field test" There s no charge for this, they recomend a choice of 3 or 4 opticians in your area & the optitians report back to DVLA. (The optician couldn't even tell me how well I did. However I did get a print out of the test.)

If you wear glasses? I would recommend you have an up to date lense prescription for the test? (If DVLA require you to do this.?)

Wishing you the best of luck.

Reactions: kaya1991

kaya1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

I appreciate the apparent minefield of filling out these fitness to drive forms.
Looking at the DIAB1 form. (PDF online.) it seems it only excludes laser for long & short sightedness?

These forms seem to change. A previous incantion asked if injections in both eyes? I said no. As I had aIt-VEGF treatment in the one.
I actually renewed my licence earlier this year & they changed it by this time to the one in the link?
By this time I'd had the second eye successfully treated too?

They sent me a letter back suggesting I go for a "vision field test" There s no charge for this, they recomend a choice of 3 or 4 opticians in your area & the optitians report back to DVLA. (The optician couldn't even tell me how well I did. However I did get a print out of the test.)

If you wear glasses? I would recommend you have an up to date lense prescription for the test? (If DVLA require you to do this.?)

Wishing you the best of luck.

Thanks so much for your response! Those forms feel like such a minefield.

I assume if I need a field of vision test it'll be a little wait anyway as I don't think the opticians are open yet... but I guess I'll just wait and see. Thanks again!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks so much for your response! Those forms feel like such a minefield.

I assume if I need a field of vision test it'll be a little wait anyway as I don't think the opticians are open yet... but I guess I'll just wait and see. Thanks again!

Yep, I had treatment for macula edema. I hadn't even heard of it until about 6/7 years ago?
Never had any trouble with retinopathy.

I cut it a bit fine on my last licence renewal.
When does your current licence date expire?

D

Deleted member 308541

Just had a look at my optometrists website here in Bundaberg, and they are taking bookings for appointments now that things are being relaxed a bit due to the "Iso".

You may be lucky at yours to get one.

Edit: The link may, or may not work...:D

https://www.opsm.com.au/Appointment...=1386&langId=-1&eyetest=Classic&storeId=10151