1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Reasonable Adjustments at work

Discussion in 'Jobs and Employment' started by Gunn3rs6, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Catlady19

Catlady19 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good luck today, I hope they can accommodate you, let us know you get on.

2. binman1234

binman1234 Type 2 · Member

hi , only just read your thread , then is the Equality Act of 2010, which saids that Diabetic 2 is a disabled under the law

3. Mep

Mep Type 2 · Well-Known Member

hi @Gunn3rs6 - I've just seen this thread. I'm insulin dependant on MDI. I am in a different country to you, although I have had experience with my employer having to accommodate my disabilities. Although for me they didn't start to accommodate my disabilities until it started to impact my work. I had a break down at work one day in 2012 over a phone call I'd received about my health and I couldn't pull myself together so I got taken into the bosses office for a chat. It's been a long process since then and they put me through the wringer I must say. I was being seen by a rehab case manager and an OT for at least 18 months before they made a decision I needed to be referred to their doctor for assessment for fitness for duty. Well to cut the long story short they have put me on part time working hours and approved a partial invalidity pension for me through my retirement funding. But during that whole process they didn't really use my diabetes as leverage to change my hours.... it had a lot more to do with my other illnesses. So even though they do need to accommodate you for injections (which my employer is fine with and they even supply sharps containers in the restrooms), they don't see it has a problem for me because I can manage it. What they do require from me though is for me to let them know if I hypo during working hours as they say it is a duty of care issue and if anything happens they need to be able to back me up, etc. I wish you the best with your negotiations with your employer. As I'm not in your country, I'd say the other UK peeps would be on the money with what your employer is obligated to do, etc.

4. catapillar

catapillar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The Equality Act 2010 says that a disability is a long term condition which, without treatment, would have a significant adverse impact on your ability to carry out normal day to day activities.

Type 1s are disabled for the purpose of the equality act because, without treatment they'd die.

It's a bit more of a grey area for type 2s as it will depend on the individual's condition and treatment - it's decided on a case by case basis.

• Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook