Reassurance

Blondie153

Dear pump users is there a time (or even a good long period) when as pump users you are not making adjustments to levels? Can you go days/weeks/months when all basals/boluses/ratios are so accurate that you do not have to change anything. With my daughter we have days and nights sorted but evening is still all about adjustments. We seem to always have to correct a high before she goes to bed but half it as she will hypo if given all correction. If we adjust her ratio at dinner she goes hypo and at the moment are nearly afraid to touch basals we area aging but bed

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Re: Reassurance

Can usually go a few months at least using both same basal and same bolus. That said bolus does need a percentage increase/decrease depending on activity levels as well as temp basal for exercise. I have the same routine mon~fri, then on weekends use different basals and boluses as I don't work weekends and again impacts things. some time ago I recorded everything separate for weekends to learn new ratios.
Regarding basal if I think its wrong I will make the adjustment but carry out a basal test after to make sure its correct. Once I know basal is correct it is alot easier to work out boluses which also stay consistent for a while.
There are many factors that can make things go **** up as you are finding such as temperature, activity, stress, illness to name a few.

iHs

Re: Reassurance

My control usually changes about every 10 days not by a lot but enough to make me eat some carb or do a small correction and if it carries on, then I look at the time that the changes take place and then alter the carb ratio first if the change is within 3hrs after eating food and if the change happens later, then I'll alter the basal rate by a tiny bit. if I find that I am altering the basal rates at different times during the day, then that usually is the signal to do a basal rate test and adjust all the hourly basal rates correctly and then keep fingers crossed.....

Blondie153

Thanks for all of that. Have put her dinner ratio down 1 and lowered her basal between 8-11 thought the lower ratio would avoid the high after dinner and the lower basal would stop the hypo after the correction to the high following dinner. This is probably as clear as mud!!!