1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Recent diagnosis T2, Gliclazide, weight gain

Discussion in 'Sulphonylureas & Prandial Glucose Regulators' started by JenBry, Mar 14, 2016.

1. JenBry

JenBry Type 2 · Member

Hi
    A few weeks ago I was diagnosed with T2. I was prescribed metformin and gliclazide. 1 x5 metformin and 1x gliclazide per day to start. After almost 3 weeks, despite eating less than half I was eating before, and mostly carb free (including 'hidden' sugars), I am up almost 2 kg on the weight I was 3 weeks ago. My fluid intake previous to diagnosis was mostly water, 2 -4 litres per day. Now I struggle to get even 1.5 litres in per day. I am extremely overweight. With eating mostly leafy vegetables and protein I would have thought I would lose some weight. The diabetes practice nurse last week mentioned that gliclazide has been known to have weight gain as a 'side effect'. Today the junior Dr, after consulting with a practice GP, said that weight gain was a 'good thing', as it seems to show that the body is normalising. I have one more week of gliclazide to complete.
    My blood sugar levels 3 weeks ago were in the high teens and low 20s, and after 3 weeks of meds and watching what I eat, my range is now between 7.0 and 13.5.
    Does anyone else have any experience or knowledge about Gliclazide, and its effect on weight gain?
    Thanks!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Liam1955

Liam1955 Type 2 · Master

@JenBry64 - When I took Gliclazide I put on 1 stone and was taken off it after just over 3 weeks of taking it.:)

3. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was on maximum dose gliclizide when I lost the majority of my 154lb - I have cut my dose twice now so down to 80g a day. - I never had any problem losing weight whilst I e been on it. You do have to be careful though I still had to count calories as well as my carbs and once I was having hypos I reduced my dose - treating the hypos can cause weight gain.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. 13lizanne

13lizanne Type 2 · Expert

Hi @JenBry64 I took Gliclazide for a few weeks before stopping meds altogether and lost weight well during that time following lchf. My GP said glic will store any excess carbs you eat as fat but if you are low carbing you shouldn't have any trouble with weight gain.

• Like Like x 2
  5. MarcoRiveira

MarcoRiveira Type 2 · Well-Known Member

No effect on me, and I need to put on more weight ...

6. sillymoose

sillymoose Type 2 · Member

I was already overweight when commenced on Gliclazide in 2005 and I gained about 4 stone in six months, it was horrendous but at the time I didn’t connect the weight gain to the drug as I was stressed, overeating and my mental health was really bad. I now make it clear I won’t take this drug but am still prescribed it, I’m currently taking one a day then stopping it from tomorrow after my appointment with the diabetic clinic. I’ve lost 50kg and am terrified of this drug and putting weight back on.

• Hug Hug x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook