Recent Higher Sugars-any advice

RPNKW

My sugars are high in the mornings between 4.9 and 7.2 but this week have been consistently 7 to7.6 mm/ol

Lunchtime I am usually 5.5 to 6.5 but again have been 7.2. After a very stresful event at work they shot to 8 over 2 hours after eating, they did go back down but only to 7.2.

Pre evening meal they are still low but later seem to rise higher and take longer to go down before bed (7.4 ish recently when they are usually 5.9 or so) I have been eating later however.

My insulin is novo rapid 2 daytime shots of 6 and one of 10 in the evening and 30 of lantus before bed.

Last week I was on the cornish coast path for a week. When I have hiked at week-ends on the peak and penines I often miss the day doses of insulin but keep the evening and night ones.This has only been for a couple of days at a time, this time it was six days of quite strenouos walking.

This time even when I missed the day ones I was still getting hypos of 3.6 to 3.9 and 2.9 at one stage. Later in the week (About Thursday) I stopped the evening dose and had no Lantus Friday or Saturday, blood sugar readings still normal. On Sunday I had an 8 hour train ride so went back to normal insulin dosage and have done so since yet my blood sugar readings though normal are getting higher and taking longer to reduce after a meal.

Could me messing with my insulin to avoid dangerous hypos in rough country have had an effect? If so any advice on how to correct this as I have in the past year kept my averages on pinprick testing very low. Any explanation and possible solution would help. By the way the week was chilled out but work issues hit me straight away on returning.

RPNKW

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi RPNKW,
I'm no expert, only a parent of a child and when we have planned stenuous activity we tend to reduce his basal insulin at night (Levimar) Increase his snacks using longer acting carbs and use a lower ratio when carb counting. But what works for him may not work for everyone. Stopping insulin altogether isn't a good idea and yes i do think thats why your bs is wonky now.
So i would suggest when you next go hiking reduce your Lantus by a few units and see how it goes, do you carb count with your novorapid?
There are some serious sports fanatics here on the forum and they'l give you the best advise,
take care,
Suzi x

RPNKW

Cheers Suzi you make good sense, was 4.6 afternoon pre meal and 7.2 1hr 30 min after a low carb evening meal and a hit and miss correctional series of shots but only one reply? where are you compadres, campesinos, I need your advice?

RPNKW

Trinkwasser

I can often tell when I'm sickening for something as my BG will go up before any other symptoms start. Once or twice I've had strange results, like high peaks at 1/2 hour postprandial going back to normal at 1 hour.

If you start coughing or sneezing you'll know the same thing just happened to you!

RPNKW

Im not sure, I got a sore throat for a day, however I have had problems with an infected Wisdom tooth recently and had to have it taken out in hospital this morning, should have really been done in December. Last BM I did was Sunday at 5.3 post evening meal but 2.5 hours after eating.

Rob W

diomede

Dislikes
Anything to do with wings! Nanny state, people who won't say no, people who won't say yes and anything to do with the labour party
For what its worth, my DB nurse told me to that "normal" people should have a reading of between 4 and 7 before meals and that was what I should be striving for. As far as I am concerned, anything between 4 and 7 before any meal would be ideal so cant understand why you think this figure high.

RPNKW

To Diomede

I suppose I am striving, even though I think my recent diebetes efforts re weight are screwed, to be better.I got my 30 day meter average ro 4.9 at one point, last one was 5.9 most recently, when I walked a lot in Cornwall I got really low without insulin and stopped all the shots. I think I was asking forum members whether this was unwise and had contributed to me running a series of 7,s when for the past 8 months sugars were lower. I fully take your point but I would rather be lower than high but perhaps I am subconsciously trying to deny that I am diabetic?.

To be honest some of the health service attention , whilst wel;come, makes you feel like ****. My weight had gone up and my dietician kept rolling her eyes and looked very depressed saying "You must have higher sugars than this at your increased weight" she then seemed to take some pleasure in letting me know that cucumber contains a carb trace and handing me some poxy diet sheet saying(Subliminally cos they call it meal monitoring then suggest the meals even down to measuring the diameter of f~~~~@@ spoons) that my Sunday lunch should consist of 3 wafer thin slices of chicken, 3 small new potatoes and a poxy little spoonful of peas,. might as well be dead (By the way my meal plate is 6 incches across and never piled high I do blended curries and other meals without fat but have a wine weakness). I have tested a lot since including very frequent tests on said cornish coast path but sometimes you just think "f~~~ it, whatever" It seems everyone wants you to take some test or other when you really want to say "Leave me the F#### alone , my blood sugar is good, get off my case".I just want to live my life without high readings so I suppose thats why I got panicky when they inched upward.

To all of you, where is the balance here, when do you stop obsessing about this horribly named condition that sends every clip-board waving funding chaser in the world on your tail yet you just want to be normal.To be blunt, wheres the F'''##ing line here?

RPNKW

Fenster

RPNKW

You are doing very well. A posting I made earlier.

There are a million articles on the web, low carb, high carb, low gi, low fibre, high fibre, high fat, low fat the list is endless. Eat to your meter. Get an HbA1c better than six. Eat fresh meat and fish. Stacks of vegetables and some nuts and low carb fruit, berries are good. Get an hours exercise in every day, walking and swimming is good. Then, LIVE A LIFE.

Good luck and health.

Fenster.

Trinkwasser

RPNKW said:
Im not sure, I got a sore throat for a day, however I have had problems with an infected Wisdom tooth recently and had to have it taken out in hospital this morning, should have really been done in December. Last BM I did was Sunday at 5.3 post evening meal but 2.5 hours after eating.

Rob W

Ha, that'll do it every time. Gum and sinus infections cover a rather large area. I bet now you have the tooth removed, once the pain and inflammation wear off your numbers will go back to what they once was.