Recent Type 1 and Ongoing Issues

Rhys.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello All,

Was recently diagnosed Type 1 Diabetic on 20th April. I have since got my blood sugars under fairly good control, but I am hoping if someone can help regarding some problems I have been getting.

Around 4 weeks ago ( two weeks into my Insulin ), I would start to feel sick but wouldn't vomit. This lasted for about a week and was the most vile time in my life. The feeling of sickness was constant and I would walk around like an idiot, to try and shake it off, but with no luck. My doctor helped in prescribing me Omeprazole for maybe acid reflux. The symptoms stopped after 5 or so days and I foolishly stopped taking it.

Roughly a week later, the problems came back and have been consistent for the past two weeks but milder ( as I am taking Omeprazole again ). Has anyone experienced the same? Is there a link between this a Type 1 Diabetes?

Another worrying factor. I have been getting tingles in one of my toes for the past 6 weeks, but it was nothing to stop me walking. Last night however, I had to adjust the way I walked, else it would hurt when walking. Is this something I should raise immediately as I am worried this will get worse and seeing this is linked with Diabetes.

We are revisiting the stomach problems, once I've gone 4 weeks into medication for it. Just seems awfully strange to happen within weeks of being on insulin? Any ideas?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hello All,

Was recently diagnosed Type 1 Diabetic on 20th April. I have since got my blood sugars under fairly good control, but I am hoping if someone can help regarding some problems I have been getting.

Around 4 weeks ago ( two weeks into my Insulin ), I would start to feel sick but wouldn't vomit. This lasted for about a week and was the most vile time in my life. The feeling of sickness was constant and I would walk around like an idiot, to try and shake it off, but with no luck. My doctor helped in prescribing me Omeprazole for maybe acid reflux. The symptoms stopped after 5 or so days and I foolishly stopped taking it.

Roughly a week later, the problems came back and have been consistent for the past two weeks but milder ( as I am taking Omeprazole again ). Has anyone experienced the same? Is there a link between this a Type 1 Diabetes?

Another worrying factor. I have been getting tingles in one of my toes for the past 6 weeks, but it was nothing to stop me walking. Last night however, I had to adjust the way I walked, else it would hurt when walking. Is this something I should raise immediately as I am worried this will get worse and seeing this is linked with Diabetes.

We are revisiting the stomach problems, once I've gone 4 weeks into medication for it. Just seems awfully strange to happen within weeks of being on insulin? Any ideas?

Hi Rhys

At diagnosis you were up around 30mmol (looking at your earlier posts) and bringing your average glucose levels down can make one feel pretty rough. Your body may take a while to get used to the new levels - I rememeber flying out to Tenerife a week after being diagnosed and my head was pounding for days and I just felt awful.

If that's what it is, then I would have thought that the sensation would start to subside about now, so if it doesn't start to go soon then follow it up with the doc'. It's not something that would be associated with diabetes or insulin per se, unless you have some sort of allergy. Which insulins have you been given? Is nausea listed as a side effect on the Patient Information Leaflet?

Last edited:

Rhys.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Urban,

Thank you for your response. I am currently taking Novorapid and Levemir. I have had bloods taken for allergies, which all came back normal, which was reassuring.

It's just a weird and vile feeling, with also a bitter taste at the back on my mouth now and again. I've been relatively well for most of my life and all of the sudden, these changes start happening as soon as I am diagnosed. You may be right, that it's just my body getting used to all these changes, but the past 3 out of 4 weeks now, have been rough with horrible Nausea.

Blood Sugar Levels are massively improved, but I just don't feel it if it makes sense.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hello Urban,

Thank you for your response. I am currently taking Novorapid and Levemir. I have had bloods taken for allergies, which all came back normal, which was reassuring.

It's just a weird and vile feeling, with also a bitter taste at the back on my mouth now and again. I've been relatively well for most of my life and all of the sudden, these changes start happening as soon as I am diagnosed. You may be right, that it's just my body getting used to all these changes, but the past 3 out of 4 weeks now, have been rough with horrible Nausea.

Blood Sugar Levels are massively improved, but I just don't feel it if it makes sense.

If you don't have the Patient Information Leaflet for your Levemir then you can read it here.
https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/files/pil.5536.pdf

Does it describe what you're experiencing?