mrsraeroberts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed 22nd September this year and I have my first eye test next week.

I'm wondering what to expect as I suffer anxiety/depression also and the letter said something about the liquid making your eyes blurry for a while after.

I have 2 problems, lol. I don't like my eyes messed with and my anxiety is making me worry really badly about this. I've asked my husband to come with me incase my eyes are blurry after will he need to?

Thank you in advance for any replies
Rach

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your husband will definitely need to accompany you as your eyes will be bleary for a while afterwards, use sunglasses. There is nothing to these eye tests, not painful nor uncomfortable and it's over in a few seconds.

Reactions: mrsraeroberts

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't worry, it's nothing....When I had mine, I had eye drops to dilate the pupils - it stings a little bit but not a lot - then you wait about 30 minutes for the drops to take effect, then you go in, sit in front of a retinal camera - look up - snap - look down - snap - look left - snap - look right - snap......thank you, we'll be in touch - and off you go. The last bit takes about 5 minutes if that. I know it's a bit worrying, but it's really OK.

Edit: pipped to the post by Carol43.....

Hope this helps

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, you won't be able to drive afterwards so take your hubby with you (and make him stop at the pub for a well earned glass of wine on the way home!!!!!)

M

mist

Don't stress about it. You have superhero hair, so call fourth all your bravery and win!

The test is done in seconds. You'll be fine ;)

mrsraeroberts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Thank you all :)
I was going to say I can't use sunglasses as wear glasses but if I'm going to be seeing as though I don't have them on anyway I may aswell.

Reactions: Deespee23

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eyesight may remain affected for some hours (blurred / discomfort to bright lights) with pupils typically dilated for 4-8 hours. Real adverse reactions are very rare.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Thank you all :)
I was going to say I can't use sunglasses as wear glasses but if I'm going to be seeing as though I don't have them on anyway I may aswell.
I think the reason sunglasses were mentioned, is that the function of the drops is to dilate the iris allowing a bigger "window" to take the pictures through of the back of your eye. When you go back out into the bright British daylight, it appears quite dazzling. :cool:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your husband will definitely need to accompany you as your eyes will be bleary for a while afterwards, use sunglasses. There is nothing to these eye tests, not painful nor uncomfortable and it's over in a few seconds.

I second that.. Use hubby as "designated driver".. & use a baseball hat too!? The peak shield from any sunlight.. The drops dilate the pupils in the eye that's all! So they can get a better look at your retinas...

Yvonnet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The dilating drops are a norm, they do stings when put in for about 10 secs, they dilate youra pupils, your vision will be blurred for anything from 3 to 6 hours, everyone's different for the length of time, most people say its like looking through a net curtain up close, you will need sunglasses when you leave or the daylight will hurt your eyes cause of the dilation. Hope this helps. Dont worry it will be fine.