Recommended carb intake

C

CelalDari

I don’t know if it’s just me but I find the recommended daily carb intake of 225-350g of carbs astronomical and quite frankly as a type 1 I find it dangerous.

According to my Freestyle libre I’m having on average 159g of carbs a day. I’m wondering whether I’m eating too little or too much. I would go very low carb like Dr Bernstein but I need fruits and vegetables in my life. I’ve seen on some forums that some diabetics eat crazy amonts of carbs like 300g (equivalent to 30 units of novorapid if using 1:10)

I’m thinking of initially reducing my carb intake to 120g doing 20g breakfast, 40g lunch and 60g dinner then reducing it further depending on how I feel. Do you think this is wise? I know you are not dieticians but it’s nice to hear advice from experienced people (I’m 18 and have only been diagnosed a little over a month ago)

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I totally agree with you although I am an atypical (skinny) T2; that amount would kill me. The guide lines most of the GPs/diabetic nurses give are ten years out of date.

I can't remember which Dr has gone very low carb (he is a T1) and has dramatically reduced his insulin use and runs marathons etc and feels better than he ever did.

I can't eat fruit (I love fruit!) but if you stick to small amounts of the lower sugar fruits and the lower carb veg you should be able to eat well and dramatically reduce your insulin.

I am sure there are lots of T1s who will be much more knowledgeable than me and add their comments. Good luck.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
As a T2 I originally went 100g a day for a week or so, then down to 85g. After being in remission for 18mths, I went back up to 100g and allow myself to go up to a max of 130g some days.
The only fruits I eat are raspberries, gooseberries, blackberries, rhubarb or blueberries, and occasionally a few strawberries - fewer strawberries as they tended to trigger bigger BS rises at first.
I eat more green veg and cauliflower than I used to.
The dietitian I saw in the first month told me off for not eating rice, potatoes, bread etc. But all the research I read indicated my diet is healthy. I eat loads of veg with a little extra fat and protein, and have flaxseed plus chia seeds for roughage.