Record keeping

LaughingHyena

It's been nearly 8 months since I was diagnosed and I feel like I am starting to get the hang of things.

I started noting test results and insulin doses in a diary provided by my nurse and also kept more detailed records with a food and exercise log for a few weeks on the recommendation of the dietitians.

However I am slipping. I find it easy to test each mealtime but I've not been writing the results down immediately. I've been trying to make sure I copy the results out from the monitor every couple of weeks (more if I notice a couple of odd results in a day) but that doesn't keep track of my insulin doses.

How do other people do this and what do I need to be keeping track of?

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
i also have this problem, but i've slowly got into the habit of copying everything from my meter into a diary at night, i also like it better this way as i'm noting the days results down i can have a good look at the days results to spot any issues or anything i might want to change insulin wise.

I've also lost about 3 diaries by carrying it around with my all day so i keep it beside my bed and it's become a little routine :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
During my 25 years, I have found a lot of varying ways how to record levels, food, insulin etc, and believe me I found a LOT of ways not too!!!!! Not attneding appointments with DSN, delaying them, and also writing down some, and adding a few in as well!!!! Previously I have tried a few tricks......but in the end there is nothing like just doing it at the end of each evening.....even now my hubby checks with me each Sun morn to find out whether I have enetered Fri and Sat because he is off and I can get lax......

I try and do everything on the day now, as I have such **** memory!!!!! hubby can remember 2 or 3 days food intake, I can't. Fortunately my machine records all my levels and bolus and corrections etc. As I am on a pump now which records everything except for the actual type of food I ate, it is brilliant.....I wish I had it 25 years ago!!!!

Best, do it each evening to be honest. I am open and honest enough now to own up to the games I have played recording my levels...I know from research and statistics done, that I am not the only one!!!!!!

You need to do what fits in with you, but best to be done when you can be honest and remember!!!!

josie38

Hi laughinghyena,

I suffered a similar problem especially when i was at work....I got another diary for when i was at work so i could write down immediately what my insulin dose was.

If you are using your monitor whilst out and about maybe you could keep a piece of paper in it to write down what your insulin doses are. That way you wouldn't have to take your diary with you just your monitor. I did that when i would go out shopping for a day or a day trip. It would seem from your post that the problem is keeping track of your insulin doses.
You dont say how many doses you have a day or if you are carb counting. I'm sure you will find a way that suits you.

Good luck :D :D

Josie

jopar

I used use the lifescan ultrasmart meter until I got my pump, as this has an eletronic log book loaded on it, so you could note down, carbs, insulin dose, exercise levels, health factors that all effected your BG control..

Then it was a case of just downloading to the computer, the software is free can be downloaded from their site, and I think if you ring them they now send the cable free of charge..

Accu-chek has brought out a new meter called the Expert which you can load this information on and also carries an bolus adviser as well, pretty expensive though at £80 you do need to get a script off your diabetic clinic, but you might be lucky as I know that several different clinics around the country have supplied them free of charge so do check..

LaughingHyena

Thanks for the suggestions. Glad to know I;m not the only one with flaky records.

I like the simple solution of a piece of paper in the meter case. Free and easy, so I'll start trying with that. Then at least I will have the data to transfer to whatever diary/spreadsheet I end up with.

Also for those with the lifescan ultra smart, can you actually store insulin doses etc on the meter. I have had a (very confusing) chat with someone on their help line but they seemed to be telling me about the free software, however I don't use a windows computer so can't get that to work.

I do have a data cable for my ultraeasy but again with not running windows haven't managed to get any data off it. Hope the other half will find some time to devote to the challenge. Unless anyone can recommend a meter with LINUX drivers