Recovery after Breast cancer surgery?

Lucie S

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there,

I'm looking for some help & advice from anyone who has had breast implant or DIEP surgery following a diagnosis of breast cancer?
Unfortunately, I'm in a position where I have to decide between the 2 options.
It would be useful if I could hear from other fellow survivors your experience of how you healed after surgery, bearing in mind we take that bit longer to heal from wounds.
Any tips or hints you can provide would be great also!

Many thanks,
Lucie S

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid I can't help you at all. I had breast sparing surgery, chemo, Herceptin and radiotherapy and am now 5 years on and still in remission. I just wanted to wish you all the best with whatever you decide.

Lucie S

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm afraid I can't help you at all. I had breast sparing surgery, chemo, Herceptin and radiotherapy and am now 5 years on and still in remission. I just wanted to wish you all the best with whatever you decide.

Thanks Bluetit,
Glad to hear you're keeping well also, thanks for the kind words, they go a long way too!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there,

I'm looking for some help & advice from anyone who has had breast implant or DIEP surgery following a diagnosis of breast cancer?
Unfortunately, I'm in a position where I have to decide between the 2 options.
It would be useful if I could hear from other fellow survivors your experience of how you healed after surgery, bearing in mind we take that bit longer to heal from wounds.
Any tips or hints you can provide would be great also!

Many thanks,
Lucie S

Hi Lucie S - No experience experience of either procedure in my life, and thankfully, no encounter with the Big C, thus far.

We've had several ladies, over the years go through breast cancer treatment, but I don't recall too many threads on reconstruction.

The very best of luck to you.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi LucyS, just sending a big hug to you and trust that surgery went/goes well. Tough decision to make in a short time frame. For my first breast cancer surgery I opted to have an implant placed in at the time of surgery. Not to be crude, but it was a really lopsided profile - picture an A cup beside a D cup on one body:) Anyway, because I was so young at the time and many lymph nodes involved, I was started on chemo before the surgical site had completely healed - had to have the implant removed mid-way through chemo as the wound just wouldn't heal.....I opted for an external prosthesis after chemo....then had breast cancer again and opted to not have an implant at time of surgery. (At least I was even in profile now!!) Not making light of breast cancer, Lucy - it is devastating - but sometimes you just have to have a bit of a dark sense of humor....!

I am happy to say that I am 33 years and 28 years from those surgery dates! If I had it to do over again, I would opt not to have a implant at the time of surgery.....it seems more than enough to deal with the surgery, your diabetes (which I didn't have), your emotional roller coaster for acceptance and living without a breast....the ordeal of chemo/radiation/or both....and all the side effects that can occur with treatment....there is time enough after all is done to see how you really feel, how you are doing with a prosthesis....they have come a long way in treatments and prosthesis than when I started this journey. Yes, it may mean more surgery for an implant but perhaps the decision would be made in a better state of mind...Blessings/L