Recurring Gestational Diabetes

hose1975

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I had GDM in my first pregnancy, diagnosed at the standard 28 weeks and put on insulin pretty sharpish a week thereafter (overnight, breakfast and lunch). My BMI at the start of that pregnancy was 30.

Now pregnant for a second time (currently 21 weeks), I had the early OGTT at 17 weeks and was diagnosed with GDM again. Within a week I was on insulin for breakfast (yummy!) and have already had to add overnight stuff. Looking at the numbers, lunch and this time dinner insulin can't be far away. My BMI at the start of this pregnancy was 23.

It looks as if the GDM will be more severe this time than last time, which puzzles me rather. I thought that by losing well over two stone I'd significantly improve my insulin sensitivity and possibly avoid GDM altogether.

So, my questions for you all are:

1) For those of you that have had more than one go-round with GDM, did you find that your numbers were worse than the previous time, especially if diagnosed earlier in the subsequent pregnancies?

2) How much bearing on insulin sensitivity does pre-pregnancy weight have? I know that for type 2 diabetes keeping weight down significantly improves insulin sensitivity, so does (should?) the same apply to pregnancy?

3) Have I just got spectacularly **** genes?

4) In others' experience, does being diagnosed earlier in the pregnancy and having to have insulin under halfway into it have any bearing on the likelihood of developing type 2 sooner rather than later post-pregnancy?

Sorry if this has been a bit rambly, but t'interwebs aren't giving me much joy with these questions; maybe I'm phrasing them wrongly!

Many thanks

Jo