Type 1 Red wine

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe. I've recently determined wine raises me. Spirits and water or rocks always lower me. Red wine has 4-5 carbs per 4 oz. a bottle has about 20+ carbs. I need a small bolus for a bottle.

Reactions: Craig.muldoon

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any alcohol for me lowers my bs whilst I'm drinking it and for a few hours after - but raises my bs a bit for the next couple of days - especially the next morning. I am T2 so my experience may not be applicable

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Any alcohol for me lowers my bs whilst I'm drinking it and for a few hours after - but raises my bs a bit for the next couple of days - especially the next morning. I am T2 so my experience may not be applicable
Interesting. I used to only drink red wine and didn't think it raised me until I switched to vodka water and a lemon twist this past summer. I always drop so needed a small snack before drinking it. Occasionally now I will drink wine but I keep it minimal. I'll have to check for a few days after.

When I was type two it always lowered me.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Had a bottle of red wine last night woke up high blood sugar is this normal

Could be a number of reasons why you woke-up high and not just because of the wine.

I find Red Wine has a negligible effect on my bg ,but next time you have a few glasses test your bg through the night to see if the wine is effecting your bg levels.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Red wine does not spike me over much I quite often use it when cooking of course there's always some left in the bottle and that has to be disposed of.

@Kristin251 you always unnerve me when you say "when I used to be type two"

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Red wine does not spike me over much I quite often use it when cooking of course there's always some left in the bottle and that has to be disposed of.

@Kristin251 you always unnerve me when you say "when I used to be type two"
I'm sorry!!! I don't mean to. Why does that unnerve you? I find I need to eat just the way I did then as I do now. But I have learned some things have different effects now like exercise. I'm very sorry. I don't want to upset anyone.

Surely we know not all T2's become type 1's. Just my misfortune.

Reactions: ziggy_w

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@Kristin251 not upset I know it happens but just seems so odd to me still, that you can be T2 then T1 or LADA I should say.

My diabetes consultant has just ordered a Gad test as as I am slim and T2 he also insists that drug induced diabetes is different some how to T2 don't see it myself

He didn't see me when I wasn't slim.:)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kristin251 not upset I know it happens but just seems so odd to me still, that you can be T2 then T1 or LADA I should say.

My diabetes consultant has just ordered a Gad test as as I am slim and T2 he also insists that drug induced diabetes is different some how to T2 don't see it myself

He didn't see me when I wasn't slim.:)
Glad you're not upset. Seemed strange to me too. I think it kickstarted about 8 years ago when I had a nasty virus. That's the first time I heard I had high bs. Although to be fair, I also think since I've eaten an Atkins induction diet of some form and exercised I prolonged the inevitable for many years. No way to know for sure and it doesn't matter really. I need insulin now.

Glad you're getting the GAD test. C- peptide too? Both of those give invaluable information.

Drug induced or not, who knows why or how any of us get this. Finding the right medication to keep our levels low really is the most important thing. I wish you luck!!!

Craig.muldoon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Could be a number of reasons why you woke-up high and not just because of the wine.

I find Red Wine has a negligible effect on my bg ,but next time you have a few glasses test your bg through the night to see if the wine is effecting your bg levels.
Will give it a try

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Glad you're not upset. Seemed strange to me too. I think it kickstarted about 8 years ago when I had a nasty virus. That's the first time I heard I had high bs. Although to be fair, I also think since I've eaten an Atkins induction diet of some form and exercised I prolonged the inevitable for many years. No way to know for sure and it doesn't matter really. I need insulin now.

Glad you're getting the GAD test. C- peptide too? Both of those give invaluable information.

Drug induced or not, who knows why or how any of us get this. Finding the right medication to keep our levels low really is the most important thing. I wish you luck!!!

No not c-pep he wasn't to keen on it for some reason. Seems like half a job to me if your going to test for Gad why not c-pep at the same time?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No not c-pep he wasn't to keen on it for some reason. Seems like half a job to me if your going to test for Gad why not c-pep at the same time?
I completely agree. Two different tests that tell the whole story. The puzzle is complete.

I just went for my 6 month. My last c- peptide was .6. Grantite very low but lately my insulin needs over doubled with exact food. I requested a new one and was denied. He said I would only go lower from very low but said I was still producing insulin. What? Just do the test please. He's not paying for it, I am!!!

rfmiles

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people talking as fast as TV actors, newsgroup spammers
Had a bottle of red wine last night woke up high blood sugar is this normal

Was it a dry wine (low in sugar) or a sweet wine (high in sugar)?

Alcohol tends to keep your liver busy enough to delay any effects of carbs on your body.