Reduce BG Reading

lewisles49

Have consistently had BG readings first thing in morning of 6.7 or greater. Have been working on low carb diet but can not get this reading down. I am taking Galvus a trade name for vildagliptin.

What can I take to reduce this reading.
Thanks

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Welcome to the forum @lewisles49
In response to certain hormones our livers will release some of its stored glucose. It is called the dawn phenomenon or a liver dump. It's automatic and perfectly natural, before the days of refrigerator's in every home and shop's on every street corner. It would have given us the energy we needed to catch our breakfast.
So attempting to stop our bodies doing something it was designed to do is not easy and our morning levels are usually the last to come down. What we can do though is make sure we are not continually topping up our glucose stores by testing around meals. So test before you eat, to get a base level, then again around 2 hours after. Ideally you want the 2 hour test to be similar to your pre meal test. That would tell you that you had processed all the carbs/glucose in that meal. However life is seldom perfect so most of us allow ourselves a rise of 2mmol. Anything above 2mmol means that you have not dealt very well with the amount of carbs in your meal.
So you need to rethink that meal, smaller portions, cut some carbs out of it or even cut that particular meal off the menu. In my opinion it makes more sense to concentrate your efforts on keeping your levels good throughout the day than focusing on something you have very little control over