Reduced sugar in Lucozade

molepatrol

Hi,
My son has always treated his hypos by drinking Lucozade and has his down to a fine art of the quantity needed.

The sugar content has recently been reduced so he would need to drink about 3x as much to get the same result.

Anyone else had the same problem or got any reasonably priced, easy to use options ?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I must admit, I never even knew... I did think that I was needing more to treat hypos, but I just put it down to my hypos being a tad worse than usual.

@Administrator, @Giverny - would it be worth making information regarding the Lucozade carb reduction, sticky somewhere on the forum? Unless I'm the only idiot who never knew about the reduced sugar content; some others may benefit too?:)

Last edited:

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It's reduced by about half so it's nearer double rather than the triple you mention. Double is still only 110 mls for 10g, which is about two thirds of a typical water cooler cup, so it doesn't seem like a major crisis to me, not as if we're suddenly going to have to drink gallons of the stuff.

The halfing is just for original, orange and a few others. Pink lemonade version has stayed the same.

There's some stuff about it here, with measurements:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blog/2017...ugar-in-lucozade-affect-people-with-diabetes/