Reducing meds

Scubamup

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well its been a month, started with a fasting glucose level of 17, and a doc that said 'You've got type 1', and two plus a nurse who think its type 2.

I spent a week on 30mg Gliclazide slow release, then upped to 60mg. All seems to have gone well, I've reduced my total carbs to around 150g per day, and all of that is as slow release as I can make it and levels have been dropping. I was testing 3x a day and seeing a nice drop.

Then the wobbles started.

I found myself hitting the low 4's between meals and the room starting to spin, so I've wound up testing more 5 or six times a day and snacking to avoid falling over. Now my weight which had been going down, has started to go up again. And that's on the quiet days. Any day where I'm on my feet a lot it was worse.

Took the decision on Monday to go back to 30mg, now reading in the mid 5's peaking to 7's after food.

Spoke to my diabetes nurse on the phone this morning, she seems to agree.

Wish I was on Metformin.

What do you all think?

Karl

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Karl, low 4's is perfectly normal, only your body has got used to higher BG so it feels like a hypo.

That said, it seems a wise move to reduce meds. If you reduce carbs even further you may not need any Gliclazide at all. But keep testing.

Scubamup

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having to reduce the carbs anyway now. Not going to ruin all my good work so far.

Wondering how I'll fare on holidays or days out though. I've noticed now we live in a carb fuelled world. Where do I get a filling sub 30g carb lunch when I don't make it myself?

Karl