Reducing Protein but very low carb

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think I need to drastically reduce protein. I eat a lot of meat at the moment but noticed my kidney function has reduced recently. I am also hoping that it will also lower BS. I am way over the 56g protein guidelines.

However I am currently consuming around 20g carbs per day so wondering how I’m going to achieve that with reducing protein. If I google low protein low carb it just throws up high protein stuff or low protein high carb.

Does anyone have any recipe suggestions and snack suggestions as I normally chomp away on nuts, crispy bacon and cheese. Thanks

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I think I need to drastically reduce protein. I eat a lot of meat at the moment but noticed my kidney function has reduced recently. I am also hoping that it will also lower BS. I am way over the 56g protein guidelines.

However I am currently consuming around 20g carbs per day so wondering how I’m going to achieve that with reducing protein. If I google low protein low carb it just throws up high protein stuff or low protein high carb.

Does anyone have any recipe suggestions and snack suggestions as I normally chomp away on nuts, crispy bacon and cheese. Thanks
I'm chomping on raw carrots, cucumber and cooked broccoli or cauliflower heads. Anything to fill me.
I too used to nibble nuts, cheese and pork scratchings.

Reactions: Flora123

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Guzzler that looks interesting. I’ll take a look later. I just assumed that was the reason. Hopefully though reducing the amount might help BS levels as someone suggested on another thread.
Agreeing with Guzzler that although people assume a protein heavy diet causes kidney problems the most common cause is glucose problems i.e. diabetes. If your meatier diet is helping you keep your blood sugars down and is paired with good quality fats then I would not rush to change it until you are certain of any causal relationship between your diet and your symptom or sign.
After 37 years of diabetes, my own kidneys have been showing damage over the last decade (leaking protein) which seems to have been kept at bay by better control (low carb) and ibresartan (prescribed for this purpose).

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Agreeing with Guzzler that although people assume a protein heavy diet causes kidney problems the most common cause is glucose problems i.e. diabetes. If your meatier diet is helping you keep your blood sugars down and is paired with good quality fats then I would not rush to change it until you are certain of any causal relationship between your diet and your symptom or sign.
After 37 years of diabetes, my own kidneys have been showing damage over the last decade (leaking protein) which seems to have been kept at bay by better control (low carb) and ibresartan (prescribed for this purpose).

It has been keeping it down but recently it’s been creeping up. It’s steady but higher than before and I am eating more meat. Someone suggested on another post to someone that reducing protein might help. It is frustrating.

Reactions: Geoffno6

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It has been keeping it down but recently it’s been creeping up. It’s steady but higher than before and I am eating more meat. Someone suggested on another post to someone that reducing protein might help. It is frustrating.
Could be for loads of reasons and not just meat! Lean meats can increase production of glucose via the liver so I'd try fattier cuts or increasing fat versus protein in your diet to see if this helps. At least you can experiment safely with this and get some rapid feedback if you just change one thing at a time...

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@Flora123 as @NicoleC1971 said fatty proteins are excellent liver blocks. Hence enough of them can keep bgs lower on a low carb diet.
Are you trying to lose weight or just get good bgs?

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Flora123 as @NicoleC1971 said fatty proteins are excellent liver blocks. Hence enough of them can keep bgs lower on a low carb diet.
Are you trying to lose weight or just get good bgs?

Thank you. I’ll try that. I never like the look of fattier meats although I had been eating fattier chicken until someone mentioned chicken and the insulin index. It is so difficult. Will try that and fingers crossed.

I’m not trying to lose weight and so far managing to stay a stable weight which is good. I did contemplate losing a small amount but I feel I’d be too thin. It may be the only way though.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Flora123 I am a great advocate of protein. We need it all the time to repair damage and injuries to our cells and keep our muscles healthy. This is especially important as we get older.

Can you tell us what your suspect kidney function results are? Has your doctor mentioned them?

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Flora123 I am a great advocate of protein. We need it all the time to repair damage and injuries to our cells and keep our muscles healthy. This is especially important as we get older.

Can you tell us what your suspect kidney function results are? Has your doctor mentioned them?

My results have been over the max ie, >90 but recently 80. Only a small dip but a dip anyway. It is just a nagging thought floating around in my head. Why has it lowered? Driving myself mad. Ignorance is indeed bliss!

Edited to add my doc rarely mentions anything!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My results have been over the max ie, >90 but recently 80. Only a small dip but a dip anyway. It is just a nagging thought floating around in my head. Why has it lowered? Driving myself mad. Ignorance is indeed bliss!

Edited to add my doc rarely mentions anything!!

There is nothing wrong with 80 in an eGFR! Until a few years ago the standard was over 60, then someone changed the goal posts. Apart from anything else, the figure is estimated (that's why there is an "e" in front of it). It is not measured. It takes account of various factors including our age. Be happy, there is nothing to worry about unless you have other evidence of kidney disease. https://renal.org/information-resources/the-uk-eckd-guide/stages-1-2-ckd/

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is nothing wrong with 80 in an eGFR! Until a few years ago the standard was over 60, then someone changed the goal posts. Apart from anything else, the figure is estimated (that's why there is an "e" in front of it). It is not measured. It takes account of various factors including our age. Be happy, there is nothing to worry about unless you have other evidence of kidney disease. https://renal.org/information-resources/the-uk-eckd-guide/stages-1-2-ckd/

Thank you @Bluetit1802. I’d read it was showing reduced function, which I appreciate it’s ok for kidneys to function at less than optimal readings.
Sent you a PM

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluetit1802