Reductil - New weight loss pill. Anyone else on it?

Paperdos

Hi everyone,
Well, alongside Metformin, my GP also prescribed Reductil, which is a new weight loss pill. It works apparantly by telling your brain that you're full up earlier than you're body would normally.
Not advised for people with depression as it targets the same area of the brain, dealing with hunger & depression.
I think it also is to do with the serotonin production in the brain, it's all linked.

Well, i've only just started on these, but i'd be very interested to hear from anyone else that's been on them longer & any weight loss reports.

My GP said hopefully the Metformin & the Reductil will help to kickstart my weight loss. I'll be going swimming with my husband (and carer) too. Ease off the joints.

So, let us know how you get on with these. Thanks in advance

Paperdos

Well, since my last post i've lost just over half a stone, which for me is fantastic. I find it really difficult for the weight to budge.
Anyone else struggle to lose weight or have started on Reductil?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My daughter was on Reductil, before she became pregnant with my granddaughter She lost some, but put it all back. She has lost most of her baby weight ( after 8 months).
I wouldn't think, in her case it's worth trying with it again. She's going back to work soon and thinks she'll lose then.
T me reducing portion size and carb proportion seems safeerr. Even if it does take a while to get into it.
What side effects are written up for Reductil?

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
I cannot use it because my type of psychological medications are contraindicated BUT the manager of the nursery that my son used to go to lost a staggering amount of weight on it and couldn't rate it highly enough :) - all the best! J/x

madsugars

8) Hi T1 diabetes for 14 years, on reductil for 18 months along with anti depressents and having an eating disorder. and regular insulin. I can't say I have lost any weight but my binge eating has definately been reduced, when i was taken of reductil i gained 7lbs in 3 weeks which i couldn't handle so put back on it by my diabetes consultant who over rode the GP. I am not to come off it. I have lost the 7lbs, and eating normally has stabled my weight. Good luck if you are taking it it works for me x

Katharine

I have used it in probably 20 or more patients now. If you are on SSRI meds or you have high blood pressure (untreated) you can't go on it.

So far it has worked well and I have only had to stop it in one person whose blood pressure went above 145 systolic.

The main problem with it is that its effect tends to wear off after weeks or months. I have only managed to get two patients to target without it plateauing for them.

My best advice is that when you first go on it do your very best to keep portions down as your best weight loss will be soon after starting it. After some time the 10mg dose will stop working. The 15mg dose will then have some impact but sooner or later it usually stops working.

A similar "receptor fatigue" happens with SSRIs and I wonder if the same mechanism is involved. I have a few very overweight people and what I plan to do once they plateau is to stop the drug for six months and see if it starts working again. (provided they don't gain weight).

Trinkwasser

Katharine said:
A similar "receptor fatigue" happens with SSRIs and I wonder if the same mechanism is involved. I have a few very overweight people and what I plan to do once they plateau is to stop the drug for six months and see if it starts working again. (provided they don't gain weight).

Interesting, that "receptor fatigue" was believed at one point to be due to downregulation of dopamine (I haven't kept up to see if that theory has now been overturned), one common procedure in the States was to add Wellbutrin to SSRIs (that targets dopamine and norepinephrine)

Wellbutrin is not available here but is bupropion, the exact same drug as Zyban, so I wonder if any of your patients might fancy giving up smoking? <G> that might get the drug working again