Referral To Endocrynologist

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I saw my consultant this morning for what will be my last check up following a Distal Pancretectomy 6 years ago. My last MRI showed no change. We got talking about my D2 diagnosis and I asked him how could I be sure that my problem was insulin resistance rather than reduced insulin. He said since I have been taking digestive enzymes (Creon) since surgery that was a fair question and is referring me to an Endo. He did think that my BG reduction with significant weight loss pointed to being T2. I have been sticking to around 30g carbs/day and get mainly 5s and 6s with the odd 7. Anyone got any views on this?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I don't think you can be sure without the relevant test such as the c-pep it's all mainly guesswork reduced carbs will drop BG either way I would have thought. So maybe you may get more clarity from a referral to endocrinology.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think you can be sure without the relevant test such as the c-pep it's all mainly guesswork reduced carbs will drop BG either way I would have thought. So maybe you may get more clarity from a referral to endocrinology.
Thanks for replying. I think it needs to be checked if I have pancreatic insufficiency digesting food. I think I read on here that these tests arent pleasant or maybe I didnt!

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with John, you need the tests to make sure. But I am very glad that you will be getting those tests! :D

I really don't know if weight loss and bg reduction automatically point to T2 though.
IF you are eating less, and that smaller amount of food is less carby, then your body doesn't have to work as hard as it used to to control blood glucose. That is going to be the same whether you have insulin resistance or failing beta cells, or failing beta cells through a fatty liver.

Hopefully the tests will clarify!

And thank you for explaining that Creon is digestive enzymes! I have known about Creon, and that it is necessary for 3cs after their pancreas fails, but (possibly due to my memory doing a sieve impression) I hadn't twigged that Creon was digestive enzymes. I obviously hadn't stopped to wonder what it actually might be... :)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with John, you need the tests to make sure. But I am very glad that you will be getting those tests! :D

I really don't know if weight loss and bg reduction automatically point to T2 though.
IF you are eating less, and that smaller amount of food is less carby, then your body doesn't have to work as hard as it used to to control blood glucose. That is going to be the same whether you have insulin resistance or failing beta cells, or failing beta cells through a fatty liver.

Hopefully the tests will clarify!

And thank you for explaining that Creon is digestive enzymes! I have known about Creon, and that it is necessary for 3cs after their pancreas fails, but (possibly due to my memory doing a sieve impression) I hadn't twigged that Creon was digestive enzymes. I obviously hadn't stopped to wonder what it actually might be... :)
I think I might have had less success if I asked my GP for a referral as the DN wasnt interested. Referral from one consultant to another is usually speedy I find. When I get to the bottom of it I will post in case its of use to others.